Water surface a little polluted

Ali

Hey guys

So I have stated a new tank its almost two weeks old.

Fish are in all looking well.

But I have this slick of grim on the surgace of my water that just wont go away.

I habe a surface skimmer but it doest look to be doing much I dont want to do a water change yet as the tank is still new.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to get rid of the surgace grime?

Did you clean it properly before adding water? Also you say your tank is only 2 weeks old and you have fish in it already, I hope you cycled first or you may have some sick fish soon, unless of course you are using them to cycle the tank.

I thought I cleaned it properly but looks like I diddnt.

I am cycling the tank but the cannister filter was taken straight from another tank so all the media is all full of bacteria. So the fish I have in there should be fine

but now back tot he question......

Hands in and out of the tank can cause this. I would give it time and perhaps daily water changes if the tank is not cycled properly. No aware of how surface skimmers work but making sure you have airation breaking the surface of the water should also help.

I had a similiar issue when I first started up my tank but the issue occurred in my sump. Initially, the easiest way for me was to use some towel paper and skim the surface of the water (this absorbed the oils). It just takes heaps of towel paper. Now I just run a sponge filter in my sump (seeds the sponge filter, and also keeps the oil slicks away).

I had a similiar issue when I first started up my tank but the issue occurred in my sump. Initially, the easiest way for me was to use some towel paper and skim the surface of the water (this absorbed the oils). It just takes heaps of towel paper. Now I just run a sponge filter in my sump (seeds the sponge filter, and also keeps the oil slicks away).

hmm paper towel eh...might be an idea :)

Archived