calvus with eggs

boydie

hey all

i purchased a pair of black calvus yesterday and when i picked them up they had layed eggs in there shell which is quite large.very hard to see fish or eggs.

the guy gave me the shell as the male wouldnt come out so i have put them into my tank and they have seemed to have settled in quite well and i have only seen the male for a split second before he went back into the shell.

IF and i know its a big IF,but if the eggs are still ok and he looking after them how will i know if there are any fry,im at a bit of a loss on what to do.

any advice would be appriciated :B

cheers boydie

hi Boydie;

moving shell dwellers is a tough call when there could be eggs in the shell.

my main concern [in this case] is the f/male. have you seen her, even breifly ? i'm worrried that the male may have jamed her deep in the shell. he should not be in the shell if she has eggs, he should be on gaurd duty, and she takes care of the eggs and keeping him out.

But, let's assume all is well. if you can remove her and the shell to another tank, that would be good.

it will take about ten days for any fry to venture to the mouth of the shell.

fininky little buggers to feed, have some bbs ready for them to kick on to.

good luck with them

hi Boydie;

moving shell dwellers is a tough call when there could be eggs in the shell.

my main concern [in this case] is the f/male. have you seen her, even breifly ? i'm worrried that the male may have jamed her deep in the shell. he should not be in the shell if she has eggs, he should be on gaurd duty, and she takes care of the eggs and keeping him out.

But, let's assume all is well. if you can remove her and the shell to another tank, that would be good.

it will take about ten days for any fry to venture to the mouth of the shell.

fininky little buggers to feed, have some bbs ready for them to kick on to.

good luck with them

Archived