Geo Question ?

superbad0417

so im about to get some geo's and i have a few questions.

im going to put them in a 4ft bow front aqua one tank to grow them out, the tank is the one with the trickle style filter that is in the lid. do i need a airstone or will there be enough oxygen from the water breaking the surface when its re-entering the tank ?

also wondering if sand would be the best choice for substrate

I imagine the trickle filter will provide sufficient oxygen. Fine sand is absolutely the best substrate for Eartheaters. I'd highly recommend sticking with a smaller species like Orange Heads for a 4' setup, as most other commonly available species (apart from 'G'. steindachneri and G. sp. "Pindare") will substantially outgrow it.

Nice choice on the Geo's they are common but I think they show some awesome colours.

Click on this for info

I checked out that site when I was buying Geo's I had some but recently moved them on. Shame as they were coloring quite nicely. I was rolling with a crushed coral and sand mixed substrate.

The trickle filter will go well for oxygen you could probably run some sponge air filters for backup if the filter breaks.

They are not an easy fish to sex (depending on what geo), and actually alot of geo's are not common at all, some of the rarest fish in australia are in the geophagine family.

Best way to sex is to wait till they breed, otherwise there are small things that can help aid in sexing, but generally you don't know till they spawn.

Cheers Mark~

Archived