Dirty Water

scotty81

I just cant seem to get my water clean anymore, it's realy clear but there's alot of white particles floating around in it. I tried replaceing the fine filter mat but it hasn't done anything. Anyone got any ideas??

I believe the problem is to do with flow vs the load of food and fish waste that

your tank has. To make it better I would first try changing/cleaning the

mechanical filter as you have done but since this hasn't helped it probably

means that you need a larger filter or more mechanical filtration components.

Cheers,

John

I believe the problem is to do with flow vs the load of food and fish waste that

Cheers,

John

well said John!

tho you can also add some cotton wool in the final stage of filtration?

or get your hands on an internal filter to add the wool for it will clog very fast !

someone has mentioned once that they added a micron filter tube to an internal filter and it picked up everything!

Cheers,

John

well said John!

tho you can also add some cotton wool in the final stage of filtration?

or get your hands on an internal filter to add the wool for it will clog very fast !

someone has mentioned once that they added a micron filter tube to an internal filter and it picked up everything!

Thanks for the replies, sos should I go an internal filter, or pick up a suitable canister filter???? If internal I would use cotton wool, if I go a canister what should the make up of it be???

WHEN YOU SAY WHITE PARTICLES do you means cloudy type water ?foggy looking? cause it could be algae bloom or bacterial bloom and takes weeks and weeks to get rid of ....

http://www.fishlore.com/CloudyWater.htm

its just a thought has happend to me before also i have had a cheap filter that just did not do the job properly on a clear bottom tank i would always see a layer of dusty looking stuff that the filter just did not hold inside.. i always use a aquaclear hang on filter now on each tank and works like magic :)

Are you sure they are not micro bubbles?

In any case (Micro bubbles or small floating debris) the addition of fine white filter wool to the filter often clears it up. Alternatively if it is floating particles there are a few good flocculents on the market that should clear it up in a few hours.

I thought for a while they were micro bubbles and I guess some are, but alot of it is small whits colored particles, they almost look like parts of the polishing pad. Some do float on the surface, I'll have a look at floc, and i'm looking at puttingin a Fluval u3 internal filter, if anything it'll help with filtration of the tank, if my top filter isn't keeping up.

It isn't cloudy water, I too have had this problem

Archived