Filter and ligting advice needed.

Priscacara

G'day, as some may know from previous posts I'm still working on my 6x2x2 (pretty much Tanganyikan community) tank and 4x2x2 (SA community) tank. The 6 footer had a bit of a decor renovation and after removing a huge piece of wood the water clarity is a lot better but still not quite what I'm after. The 4 footer always looks a little cloudy and has some detritis floating throughout the tank and not being removed as well as I'd like it to. I've had it suggested I use chem zorb but its fairly costly for me atm, should help with the tannins though.

6 footer has eheim pro II 2028 filter, Aquaone 4 foot T8 40w lighting 1 tube is marine blue, the other I'm not sure if its aquaone tropical or daylight.

4 footer Heto neo 701 filter, Aquaone 4 foot T8 40w lighting, again 1 marine, the other has a red tinge but again not sure what its called.

I like the shadows at either end of the 6 footer but not sure on the best tubes to use or even if I should get a different setup (T5 or led maybe?) . The filter seems to be handling everything nicely but still some tannins from 2 smaller bits of wood I want to leave in it for the catfish to scrape.

The filter on the 4 footer just doesnt seem up to scratch although its the first time I've kept eartheater type fish so that could be why there are more bits floating round the tank. Lighting can be improved and again not sure on tubes or a change of type. The small particles in the water may also be affecting the look from the lighting?

In both cases the filters are rated at a bit above 1000 litres per hour, I vaguely remember reading somewhere that water turnover should be 4 times an hour but I might be wrong. That seems a LOT of force coming out , I can picture all my fish up against the far side of the tank :( .

Once the tax office gets it together I can afford a few changes to the tanks so looking for recomendations and advice, any input appreciated.

G'day, as some may know from previous posts I'm still working on my 6x2x2 (pretty much Tanganyikan community) tank and 4x2x2 (SA community) tank. The 6 footer had a bit of a decor renovation and after removing a huge piece of wood the water clarity is a lot better but still not quite what I'm after. The 4 footer always looks a little cloudy and has some detritis floating throughout the tank and not being removed as well as I'd like it to. I've had it suggested I use chem zorb but its fairly costly for me atm, should help with the tannins though.

6 footer has eheim pro II 2028 filter, Aquaone 4 foot T8 40w lighting 1 tube is marine blue, the other I'm not sure if its aquaone tropical or daylight.

4 footer Heto neo 701 filter, Aquaone 4 foot T8 40w lighting, again 1 marine, the other has a red tinge but again not sure what its called.

I like the shadows at either end of the 6 footer but not sure on the best tubes to use or even if I should get a different setup (T5 or led maybe?) . The filter seems to be handling everything nicely but still some tannins from 2 smaller bits of wood I want to leave in it for the catfish to scrape.

The filter on the 4 footer just doesnt seem up to scratch although its the first time I've kept eartheater type fish so that could be why there are more bits floating round the tank. Lighting can be improved and again not sure on tubes or a change of type. The small particles in the water may also be affecting the look from the lighting?

In both cases the filters are rated at a bit above 1000 litres per hour, I vaguely remember reading somewhere that water turnover should be 4 times an hour but I might be wrong. That seems a LOT of force coming out , I can picture all my fish up against the far side of the tank :( .

Once the tax office gets it together I can afford a few changes to the tanks so looking for recomendations and advice, any input appreciated.

T5 lighting will be alright, your canister filter will be alright led is good to cheaper in the long run but cost heaps for a good set, check out aquarium fanatics they have the pacific led lighting

Tx for the reply, it was only recently (prior to this post) I found out that T5 wasnt just a different tube which was what I thought was the case. The 4 foot setup is only a couple of months old so was hesitant to consider T5 or another filter, as with most hobbies I've already spent more than I should :-).

The filter on the 4 footer is definately not working right, the spray out of the bar is a couple of inches at most, the half sized one I have on another tank puts out probably double to triple the water. I cleaned the impeler yesterday with no affect on it so guess thats something that I'll have to replace. I looked at reviews of the rena xp3 and not sure if I'd be happy with it, the other I could see on Age of Aquariums was the Fluval 405 as the biggest they had and according to the info it only does 400L tanks so not big enough.

Tx for the reply, it was only recently (prior to this post) I found out that T5 wasnt just a different tube which was what I thought was the case. The 4 foot setup is only a couple of months old so was hesitant to consider T5 or another filter, as with most hobbies I've already spent more than I should :-).

The filter on the 4 footer is definately not working right, the spray out of the bar is a couple of inches at most, the half sized one I have on another tank puts out probably double to triple the water. I cleaned the impeler yesterday with no affect on it so guess thats something that I'll have to replace. I looked at reviews of the rena xp3 and not sure if I'd be happy with it, the other I could see on Age of Aquariums was the Fluval 405 as the biggest they had and according to the info it only does 400L tanks so not big enough.

Yes there must be something wrong with ur eheim, eheim are usually a reliable brand so yeah check the impeller, or get the fluval X5 heard no problems with these, was the eheim baught 2nd hand? and yeah might as well spend the money now so you enjoy ur tank more, cos you know and i know youll prob upgrade in a years time...hehehheh

Hi Fongy, the ehiem is working well its the heto filter thats not doing great. I cleaned the impeller but no difference unfortunately. I buy all my gear new to avoid most problems, doesnt always work out but thems the breaks :-).

Archived