help iv started a tank that has been emptyed for a couple of weeks

Foti

they look exactly the same do they harm fish or my fry bn?

thank you guys need to know what to do i never noticed them till after i put the fish (male bn with cave )and just thought that the fry will eat them ?

would they

iv lost 3 fry in 3 days ? getting woried that it might be the worms ?

I have had them in the past and seem to be fine. I found they tend to occur when you have too much organic matter from plants or from not cleaning (not suggesting you keep dirty tanks but we all get a build up sometimes). They may have beeen in your filter media if the media stayed moist without flow. I have also seen them occur without organic build up.

Ant

I have had them in the past and seem to be fine. I found they tend to occur when you have too much organic matter from plants or from not cleaning (not suggesting you keep dirty tanks but we all get a build up sometimes). They may have beeen in your filter media if the media stayed moist without flow. I have also seen them occur without organic build up.

Ant

thank you ant and yes the tank was empty without a filter but had alittle bit of water that the syphone could not get so i guess they breed in there !

what i need to know

what are they?

are they dangerous to bottom feeders?

do fish eat them?

should i remove them?

how do i remove them ?

thank you for your help im not upset about your commints about not cleaning :) for i know its true since the tank sat there without any filtration for just over 2 weeks :) so it true!

thank you again

Foti

They are either planaria or similar species worm. They shouldn't be dangerous to bottom feeders unless they are over eating, because they will eat them. Just do regular water changes and they should dissipate eventually. Some good info on the forums if you search for planaria. Don't stress about it, i have never heard of them causing any issues.

Ant

They are either planaria or similar species worm. They shouldn't be dangerous to bottom feeders unless they are over eating, because they will eat them. Just do regular water changes and they should dissipate eventually. Some good info on the forums if you search for planaria. Don't stress about it, i have never heard of them causing any issues.

Ant

Ant thanks mate i have raised the temp to 29 deg's added salt treated it with a wormer killed nearly all but i only used a very small dose then removed it after 2-3 hours i also vacumed i will repeat this process in this tank then every other for im sure that it would of spread through nets/bukets so on even though i cant see them in any other thank !

as for them not hurting fish i believe you but they do eat eggs even if the rigglers are still on eggs meaning iv seen them enter fry bn belly/egg sack so they are harmful to the rigglers!

i have lost more than 10 fry "never before has this happened to me!"

Archived