sponge filters on 6X2X2?

Pilly

I am looking to utalise the abundance of air i have and filter a 5.5X2X2 tank with 3 large sponge filters on 500 litres of water. The sponges are cylinders about 8in across X 6in deep. I can add a canister but would prefer to use the existing air in the fish room (save on power). Tank will be Blues and Yellows 20 to 30 fish.

I've used 2 sponge filters on a 5x18x18 ft tank with about 20 fish with weekly water changes with success. My suggestion would be to try it and see how you go. Stock the tank slowly and see if waste builds up. The issue with large setups using sponge filters is trying to ensure there are no dead spots in the tank.

Accompanied with a power head it would be fine I think. I have seen bioballs (weighed down) and ceramic noodles used in large corner filters ran by air also. Not the most efficient use of bio balls but works.

Ant

Just a suggestion. Why don't you put in a side drop filter? They run on air, are reasonably simple to install and create good circulation across the tank.

I also use sponge filters on my tanks that have side drops. You can't have enough bio filtration I reckon....:)

HTH

cheers for the responses. The side drop sounds interesting but there is water already in it. I am now going in a diferent direction and housing 7, 6inch Geos in it. I think With that much bio load i will have to go a canister. The fish come next weekend so i will have to keep an eye on water quality, or just BIG weekly waterchanges maybe. Any tips on keeping and spawning Geos? i havent really kept alot of soft water cichlids, its been africans that have always held the tank space here.

Archived