Afra Cobue and Rubins Red fry

cpfc

Daddy when I bought him at 5cm here

IPB Image

There is a thread here about him and her here.

http://www.aceforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=46854

I am feeding fry NLS grow, frozen BBS, artemia egg cysts and crushed HBH veggie flakes.

BTW I am new to the hobby but from what people here have said it seems as though dad is a good specimen.

You have any pics of the red rubin male that these fish came from?

Would be interested in purchasing some of your fry if I like the colours

of the male.

Thanks

I noticed a FS for some small 20l tanks for $10 each so grabbed 3. The Afras have an air powered corner filter and the rubins a sponge filter. I have another holding afra and may mix the two and give her a place to rest and spit.

On Jan 1 We had no tanks in this house. we now have 5 tanks!

If you want the wife on side fry is the way.

I tried a DIY fry holder out of a plastic food container but the Mrs was concerned the light was getting to her. I then used a plastic tub. The 20 l glass tanks are much better.

very cool. are they in the main tank in a fry holder or a seperate grow out tank ?

Thanks for uploading a pic of the dad. He looks OK, I've been after a different

line of females for quite some time now too. My display pic is of my male that

I have, poor guy has no females to breed with. Maybe when the fry get up to size I'll be paying you a visit some time. For now though here is a larger pic of my male:

IPB Image

I have, poor guy has no females to breed with. Maybe when the fry get up to size I'll be paying you a visit some time. For now though here is a larger pic of my male:

IPB Image

thats a really nice male. i was told that they start off the yellowy colour and mature into the more crimson like in your pic. dont know if thats tru or not ?

Poor fella. He could do with a bit of action. Looks good though. How old and big is he?

Dad looks more orange now and those brown juvenile marks rarely show.

IPB Image

Here is one from a month ago. You can see a definate move from yellow to orange and a bit of red. The colours are more vivid now because I think the female is getting gravid. His face shows more blue as well. I guess it is something the camera does not pick up as well.

IPB Image

Thats a much better looking male... I can't remember how old my guy is but

I'd say i've probably had him for at least a year now + the time it took the

previous owner to grow up to a sellable size.

From my point of view though, chances are the 'style' of colours they get when

they get when they start to colour up are the colours they will stay with when

they are older. I have another male who looks just like the first pic you

showed and he hasn't changed at all from the colours he had when he was

younger.

It may be possible that because of dominance issues a peacocks

colours may not be as intense but overall I haven't seen colours

change much with my other male. I haven't kept or bred these fish

for very long so can't say much accurately about their development,

If I did start to breed them though, the first batch would be kept to see

their colour development and how many of the males keep the fathers

colour.

Cheers,

John

If only you lived closer to my area... how much you looking at getting for

your fry if you decide to sell? Never sold em before to know but I'm sure

people will be keen on these fish if they come from good stock. I've seen

the ones at St George and they look nothing like what a true Red Rubin should...

more like a dull orange then red; then again though it could just be because

they are younger as you have shown their colours can change as they develop.

Best way to price is too look at LFS prices and prices here. A bit like pricing a car;). There is the dealer price and the trading post price. I will not gouge. I have not sold fish before. The bonus about this area is there are two good fish shops to visit as well.

The other part of LFS fish is they will be in with a bunch of males and only one is dominant. Once he colours he will sell quick leaving the others a few days to colour up. I also understand mine coloured early at 5cms.

I have noticed two dominant fry who have their dorsal fin up and more sharp than the others. They push the others out of the way. It is funny seeing the littluns getting the personality of the parents.

If only you lived closer to my area... how much you looking at getting for

your fry if you decide to sell? Never sold em before to know but I'm sure

people will be keen on these fish if they come from good stock. I've seen

the ones at St George and they look nothing like what a true Red Rubin should...

more like a dull orange then red; then again though it could just be because

they are younger as you have shown their colours can change as they develop.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

It was her first batch so I only got two left of the four she spat. I will definately be selling but time will tell if I get LFS credit or sell here. They are 2.5 cm now but I do not know the growth rates.

Rubins Reds are now 1.5 cm. There are at least 15 of them.

My next consideration is whether to up the size of their tank. They are in a 20l at the moment.

I am highly interested in a.cobue fry, do you plan to sell them off or keep them? I am in cherrybrook nearly every week so write me if you're keen to get rid of 4 or 5 ;)

cheers, Dom

I wouldnt worry about keeping them in a 20 litre too much. I use to keep

electric yellow fry in their until they were 3cm but you need decent filtration

and depending on how many are kept in there an airstone too.

Let me know when your rubins hit about 3cm if you would CPFC.

Cheers,

John

I will give you a shout when the time comes. At the moment they are filtered with a sponge filter and get 25% water changes every other day, mainly to pick up waste. Boy they poop

I wouldnt worry about keeping them in a 20 litre too much. I use to keep

electric yellow fry in their until they were 3cm but you need decent filtration

and depending on how many are kept in there an airstone too.

Let me know when your rubins hit about 3cm if you would CPFC.

Cheers,

John

• 2 weeks later...

The same peacock got up the duff again. I isolated her and she spat early. Too many to count although my Mrs reckons forty. I think thirty. They seem very small though so we will see how many survive. They can't even be 5mm. The dried artemia cysts go down very well and are cheaper than frozen brine shrimp and easier than live brine shrimp.

I also have another 7 Afras doing well in a fry saver with their 2 big siblings. Hopefully they will put on that extra 5mm quick so I can sell and free up the space.

I think I need some two footers though.

Hey mate,

I completely agree with you upsizing fry tanks. I did a bit of an experiment a while ago.

An electric blue of mine spat 30 fry, so I put ten In a 20L, ten in a 2x1x1 and ten in a 4x1.5x1.5, the difference in growth rates where out of this world.

I didn't get any measurements (wish I did) but the difference between the 20L and the two footer was very substantial. In the four footer they absolutely shot up but who really has 4 footers to grow out fry.

The point is I would definantly get some 2 ft tanks, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Cheers

Interesting post. I will be getting two. One for my africans as they get over 2cm and one for the Mrs BNs and growing plants. From what I can see a mature anubia on wood gets decent cash. My wife's mini Amazon sword is also sprouting babies. It would also be the perfect excuse for pygmy corys. Multiple birds killed with two tanks.

The 20l seems to do well up to 2cm.

Hey mate,

I completely agree with you upsizing fry tanks. I did a bit of an experiment a while ago.

An electric blue of mine spat 30 fry, so I put ten In a 20L, ten in a 2x1x1 and ten in a 4x1.5x1.5, the difference in growth rates where out of this world.

I didn't get any measurements (wish I did) but the difference between the 20L and the two footer was very substantial. In the four footer they absolutely shot up but who really has 4 footers to grow out fry.

The point is I would definantly get some 2 ft tanks, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Cheers

From memory I think your right. They shot up to 2cm in all tanks than the fry in the 20l slowed dramatically. 2ft is definantly the way to go. But I have to ask why grow them to 2cm in a 20L then transfer them to the 2ft? Why not just put them in the 2ft from the start?

Very limited space. If the large tank was empty then I would dump them straight in. I also find it more efficient feeding newborns in a smaller space. They find the food more easily and less is needed. Once they lose their newborn shyness and get some speed in them it is not so much of an issue.

From memory I think your right. They shot up to 2cm in all tanks than the fry in the 20l slowed dramatically. 2ft is definantly the way to go. But I have to ask why grow them to 2cm in a 20L then transfer them to the 2ft? Why not just put them in the 2ft from the start?

Archived