Bumble Bee Gobys with Cichlids

GlennC

Hi all

I recently added a few bumble bee gobies to my African Cichlid tank. My tank is a very mild one (Calvus, Brevis, Nigrippinis, Electric yellows, and Cuckoos. I anticipated that the only problem might be with the male Calvus, but this fish gets along fine with juvenile brevis (but detests Calvus juveniles). I was also thinking that the colour pattern of the bumble bee goby might deter the Calvus. Anyway, at this point the gobies are settling in fine. They're an unusual and interesting inclusion.

Cheers

Glenn

• 3 months later...

Hi all

I recently added a few bumble bee gobies to my African Cichlid tank. My tank is a very mild one (Calvus, Brevis, Nigrippinis, Electric yellows, and Cuckoos. I anticipated that the only problem might be with the male Calvus, but this fish gets along fine with juvenile brevis (but detests Calvus juveniles). I was also thinking that the colour pattern of the bumble bee goby might deter the Calvus. Anyway, at this point the gobies are settling in fine. They're an unusual and interesting inclusion.

Cheers

Glenn

good luck but i don't think calvus will leave it alone for too long

Hi all

Cheers

Glenn

good luck but i don't think calvus will leave it alone for too long

As it turns out I originally bought three, but lost two (they disappeared - could have been eaten, but could also have died inside a shell). I recently bought another two, who have survived.

The bumble bees tend to "hang" around in the open. So they don't usually go near the Calvus. But, when I have seen them near the Calvus he doesn't really take any interest - if he really wanted them, there's no way they'd be able to escape him. My Calvus only seems interested in small live food or baby Calvus - he'll ignore a 1cm baby brevis, but goes berserk at a baby Calvus of the same size.

Only bad thing about my gobies is that they only eat live food.

hmmm i imght have to get some calvus as i'm sick of transcriptus gombes. they are like pest!! lol

tried to catch some but without messing up the whole tank, it's impossible!

i kinda didn't pay much attention to them but they are breeding constantly!!!

gombe would not have gone in the shell, but it is resting nicely inside the calvus!

hmmm i imght have to get some calvus as i'm sick of transcriptus gombes. they are like pest!! lol

tried to catch some but without messing up the whole tank, it's impossible!

i kinda didn't pay much attention to them but they are breeding constantly!!!

gombe would not have gone in the shell, but it is resting nicely inside the calvus!

I introduced some transcriptus into my tank some months ago. They have a knack of maneuvering about inoffensively that they can hover very close to the Calvus shell (with a female with eggs inside) and the male Calvus doesn't go them. I can prod a stick (or my finger) near the shell and he goes wild, but leaves the transcriptus alone.

This makes me think that he ill eat your transcriptus when very young, but that they won't have to grow that big before he'll leave them alone. You'd probably be better off introducing regani's or kendallis or something similar.

Archived