Slate-rocks

sam w

Hi there,

I have just moved to syd ad am lookin to get some slate or similar thinnish rock for my tank does anyone know a good spot to get it from (cheaper the better) also are there any types of rocks that shouldn't go in a tank? Is slate ok?

Rocks that are or may contain traces of chemicals are a no no. Other than

that you are fine to use most types of rocks (stay away from any that are

acidic in nature if keeping cichlids)

Cheers,

John

i had a problem with black rock that i found on the beach , it looked good , took it home put it in tank , they died cause it contained something bad dont know what , i know it was this rock as it was the only thing in the tank , the best thing to do is find or buy your rock an place in a bucket for a couple of days an then test the water before you put in ya tank....ps my tank was salt tank so i know that the salt from the rock :thumbup: was not the reason for my fish

Slate's fine in tanks. Best source are landscaping suppliers. They sell it for use in garden decorations and what not at relatively cheap prices. (At least it was cheap when I bought it last)

Truth be told you can use almost any rocks you find in aquariums providing you match the type of rock to the fish. For example it isn't advisable to put calcium carbonate based rocks in a discus tank as it would raise the pH. To test whether a rock will raise your pH get your hands on some hydrochloric acid from Bunnings and pour some on the rock. If it fizzes it will raise your pH.

Just give any rocks a rinse off in water and collect them from locations outside the impact of humans so they contain no trace of garden/pesticide chemicals. I would also steer away from some types of sandstone as they can crumble in aquariums.

i had a problem with black rock that i found on the beach , it looked good , took it home put it in tank , they died cause it contained something bad dont know what , i know it was this rock as it was the only thing in the tank , the best thing to do is find or buy your rock an place in a bucket for a couple of days an then test the water before you put in ya tank....ps my tank was salt tank so i know that the salt from the rock was not the reason for my fish

If you collected rock from the rock platform or rock that was beneath the water line the cause is very likely to be the resulting die off of all the organisms living on the rock that are not suitable in tropical marine fish tanks or aquarium life in general. Highly unlikely to be the actual rock type itself.

EDIT: Incase your unaware the resulting die off of the organisms would result in an ammonia spike which is lethal to fish. Also as some sponges die off they release toxins in the water that can also be dangerous for your fish.

i had a problem with black rock that i found on the beach , it looked good , took it home put it in tank , they died cause it contained something bad dont know what , i know it was this rock as it was the only thing in the tank , the best thing to do is find or buy your rock an place in a bucket for a couple of days an then test the water before you put in ya tank....ps my tank was salt tank so i know that the salt from the rock was not the reason for my fish

If you collected rock from the rock platform or rock that was beneath the water line the cause is very likely to be the resulting die off of all the organisms living on the rock that are not suitable in tropical marine fish tanks or aquarium life in general. Highly unlikely to be the actual rock type itself.

EDIT: Incase your unaware the resulting die off of the organisms would result in an ammonia spike which is lethal to fish. Also as some sponges die off they release toxins in the water that can also be dangerous for your fish.

I actually have some of those black rocks from the rock platform of a local beach... haven't used them yet

but they are solid rocks i.e. wouldn't change water chemistry much. My guess would be the same as mcloughlin

in that they would have contained dead organic matter that caused a spike in ammonia.

Cheers,

John

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Found a place that sells cheap broken slate by the box :thumbup:

Was told that they fume-egate it when it is shipped over so you need to wash thouroughly... handy tip for anyone else in same position.

Was told that they fume-egate it when it is shipped over so you need to wash thouroughly... handy tip for anyone else in same position.

personally i wouldn't use something that i know has been fumegated with chemicals, no matter how well you wash it it may still harm your fish, the slate may be cheap but only if it doesnt kill your fish. just not worth the small risk.

personally i wouldn't use something that i know has been fumegated with chemicals, no matter how well you wash it it may still harm your fish, the slate may be cheap but only if it doesnt kill your fish. just not worth the small risk.

Cheers guys, I was told that they are used in lots of tanks. He has a lot athome himself, also as I'm just starting the tank the risk isn't as bad I will try with just one fish but will soak for a week prior ad then dry in the sun. I will keep u update

Archived