I killed two fry

cpfc

Mrs Afra was isolated to a 50 litre Kmart tub with an EHeim Filter and 100w heater. Temp is about 25. Had a tiny bit of ammonia as tank has not cycled which may have killed the fry. They were also getting sucked into pickup filter to I put some fly screen inside and I have turned the head around to minimise the flow. I also have a lump of rock in there with lots of holes for the fry to jump into. I found another fry today and mum was chasing it around. I have added 50 drops of prime which seems to have removed ammonia and more stability. All frustrating as they were probably better off in fry saver in tank. I'd best not distrurb much more so leaving as is. I will see if I can get a big berth syringe to suck up food lying around. Only other thing I think I could have done wrong is an eight litre water change that changed parameters to much for fry.

I guess if you don't have a cycled grow out tank I would recommend to buy one of those "inserts" that you can float within the main tank. the plastic ones are good because the other fish can't suck the fry out of them. The stress for the mom is also less because the water parameters don't change all the time.

I have seeded with some media which seems to have sorted the issue out. I may have to strip the female as she still has not spat all the fry. I will give her to the weekend.

I guess if you don't have a cycled grow out tank I would recommend to buy one of those "inserts" that you can float within the main tank. the plastic ones are good because the other fish can't suck the fry out of them. The stress for the mom is also less because the water parameters don't change all the time.

Archived