How many frontosa to a 6 x2 x2

outbackdean

I have the same sized tank with frontosa being the main fish but with quite a few other species in with them. Mine are still young with the biggest about 17cm total length, just frontosa alone as adults I would say 8 to 10 happily. I could be off the mark so hopefully a frontie expert can confirm or correct :-)

I have the same sized tank with frontosa being the main fish but with quite a few other species in with them. Mine are still young with the biggest about 17cm total length, just frontosa alone as adults I would say 8 to 10 happily. I could be off the mark so hopefully a frontie expert can confirm or correct :-)

Depends how many males you get mate...I had 6 in my 5x2x2 with 4 males and it was just OK....my males were 32-33cms!!! wear a glove when siphoning the tank!! they bite hard ;)

8 is my limit

I have 8, in my 6x2x2 believe there are 3 males, 5 females, though 2 of them I still can't decide 100%... My larger males are 26+cm, you'll really need good filtration and you won't want much more in the tank if you want them to breed regularly.

What kind of fronts are you looking for?

I'd recommend 8 - 10 also. i'd prefer only 2 males to 6+ females ratio. I had 1 good size pot at each end for the males and then many other smaller pots, 1 for each female. As long as each fish has a pot / house and you have clear space in middle of tank they can seperate from fish they don't get along with. They do have strong personalities. I wouldn't exceed 10 fish though there would be too much aggresion over hiding holes etc.

Thats from my experience anyway.

Cheers Couchy :thumb

• 3 weeks later...

Just a mixed bag of africans, yellows, mainganos etc, I have quite a few fry at the moment and they will swim in front of his face and he doesnt even notice them. Would he target a juvenile frontosa more than anything else?

if you have a grow out tank of some sort buy 3cm babies and grow them yourself. it's good for them to grow up together. if your current front is really a male and you happen to get heaps of male juvies he will get mad defending his territory. in any way it's a game of chance and you will have to try how he reacts...just make sure they have places to hide! (not a pile of rocks, actual hiding places!!!)

In my experience fish get beaten up if they can't escape anywhere...if they have a pot or cave each where they can hide you will find any tank more peaceful...

Ive just bought another mature frontosa, its a tiny bit smaller than the one I have, been in there a couple of hours now, its still early but no dramas yet. Hope the new guy is as mellow my other 1. Before i added him i had a clean out of all the fry and moved all the rock work around.

Archived