Australian Native

Lepperfish

• 2 months later...

Salmons will be fine, but will eventually grow too large for the tank. You'll be able to enjoy them for a while before that happens though...

In terms of what lives with them - anything that won't fit in their mouth! lol

Some suggestions:

Golden Perch (pretty and peaceful)

Jungle Perch (awesome fish)

Snakehead Gudgeon (amazing colour)

Mouth almighty

Murray Cod (until too big for tank)

Barramundi (until too big for tank)

Bullrout

See how you go. Unfortunately, native rainbowfish and other colourful small fellas would quickly be gobbled up by greedy salmon cats...

Cheers,

Andrew.

maybe a tandunas catfish or maybe a small saratoga until it gets to big,

i've kept silver perchs and golden perch in the past and they were very peaceful, but beware they grow very fast in the right conditions ended up trading them back in for store credit :lol1: ,

in my keeping of natives i've kept these in coldwater until i had to sell my 6 foot to make room,

i had silvers, yellow perch, barramundi's, yellow eel-tail catfish, sooty grunter (don't get that unless you want your fish half beaten) and some murray cod (they get somewhat aggressive to one or another at times but ends rather fast),

all lived quite peaceful until the sooty turned against everyone, ended up separating him and slowly stripping the tank down before selling them

just a note, well did put a heater in their at the start but in spring the temperatures got a bit high so we took it out and forgot about it, so they slowly adapted to the new climate

That's been my experience too - most Grunters seem to be too aggressive to be considered for mixed native tanks. It's a shame though, because Coal Grunters and Barcoo Grunters are very pretty fish. Stick to LEG-IT's advice and don't be tempted to add a grunter to the mix - it rarely ends happily.

Tandanus cats are another good suggestion. These can also get to a huge size, so it's another one that would only be temporarily happy in that size tank...

A heated native tank without the tank busters makes an awsome display.Rainbows such as M.trifasciata,Rhadinocentrus,Blue eyes such as pacifics and honeys and some desert gobies for the bottom.

With native plants for a full biotype set up.Dave Wison at Aquagreen would be a good starting point.

Just a suggestion given the tank size

I totally agree, however, if he has his heart set on good ol' Arius graeffi (Salmon Cat), it kinda rules Rainbows et al out... lol

Archived