rhinogobius and Achirus.sp

ctaylor

Through discussion with a fellow hobbyist in the UK we got onto the topic of rhinogobius or freshwater gobies native to tropical parts of Asia. Apparently they are fairly widely available as an aquarium fish, is this true?

Maybe its through my own ignorance that I've never spent much time looking at the Asian varieties of species available here in Australia but are these species here and are they quiet common?

Also interested to know if Achirus.sp, or freshwater Soles are available here, have seen a few threads where people are keeping them with Corydoras catfish, again is it my own ignorance that I've never seen them or are they just not available here?

Anyone with experience or knowledge please share any details....

Hiya,

I haven't seen the Rhinogobius in Oz, but I have seen the freshwater flounder a lot. Last time I saw them was at St George and they had heaps!

Andrew.

I kept freshwater flounder/sole for around 3 years, I had a group of 7 and some became quite tame, swimming to the surface to take blood worms from my fingers. I kept them in my amazon bio tank with a fine sand base as they like to wriggle in like their larger (and tasty) saltwater relo's. I never had any issues with them except they sometime ate corydoras fry.

From memory mine were ordered from bayfish.

Cheers,

Brett

Archived