Problem with upside down catfish

Priscacara

G'day, I've had this upside down catfish in my 6 foot tank for a bit over 6 months and its always been bloated like this not long after it was introduced, sorry for the lack of proper name and poor picture quality. I got 3 juveniles not long after the adult and 2 of them have a similar bloated belly. I have no idea what causes it or what the problem actually is. Until ecently the adult had its own cave but has been forced out by a cichlid so its out and about behind the large chunk of wood in the pic. Any info and help appreciated, the fish cant be removed at this time so if its not contagious or life threatening I will be pleased. The fish is around 9cm total length.

IPB Image

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Priscacara

Something is really wrong.

It looks like it is going to burst

It must be diet.

Stop feeding them pellets.

Starve them for a few days.

Then only put small amounts of boiled Brocoli in your tank.

The other fish in the tank can survive without food for a few days too.

They will enjoy the Brocoli as well.

It really cleans the bowels

Let us know how you go.

Tx for the reply, I think its too far gone to save but I cant get it out of the tank so giving the brocolii a try and crossing the fingers. I read up on the problem on google, looks like its not that uncommon with them unfortunately. The 3 smaller ones are fine so guess this guy didnt like what he had ate at some stage.

Tx for the reply, I think its too far gone to save but I cant get it out of the tank so giving the brocolii a try and crossing the fingers. I read up on the problem on google, looks like its not that uncommon with them unfortunately. The 3 smaller ones are fine so guess this guy didnt like what he had ate at some stage.

If he were mine and I thought he was too far gone I would try to release the pressure with a pin.

Sounds harsh but its worth a try.

Upsidedowns are incredible gluttons and it is quite normal for them to look like a golf ball.

Having said that, I had some which just didn't seem healthy so I sat them in a bucket of Sykes BigL pig and poultry wormer for several hours with an airstone as well of course.

They seem quite a bit better although still golfbally shaped.

They do stress very easily so perhaps that together with an unhealthy diet can bring on bloat?

Tx all for the replies, I've been unable to catch the fish to date. For a golf ball it still manages to bolt around the tank! The 3 smaller ones are all fine, as mentioned by others and from research they can eat a lot and I think thats what I ws seing in those.

Archived