Raising Bristlenose Fry

GlennC

Hi all

I have a new batch of bristlenose fry - they're still friggling egg yolks really. Same thing is happening as occurred with my previous batch; finding fry with no tails etc every day and some appear to absorb their egg yolks too quickly and then die. I'm keeping the fry in one of those floating platis fry savers, which have slots in the side. The fry saver is floated in my community tank. I was wondering if my cuckoo catfish might be sucking the fry through the slots and eating them?

So the question is, do others experience this? Even in situations where the fry are separated from all other fish? Are the fry eating each other?

From my last batch (about 140 fry or more) I lost about half the fry, but since the fry reached several weeks old I didn't lose any further.

Any helps would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Glenn

We have 2 BN in a tank that also has 6 Cuckoo Catfish. The BN spawn inside a small D-cave and then the male guards and fans them - never had a problem so far. We do remove the fry soon after they become free swimming because once they leave the cave they'd make tasty treats for anything else in the tank (besides to catch the fry once they swim out all over the tank is not easy).

Is there a reason you remove the eggs from the male's breeding cave? Is it possible that there is not too much water-flow over the eggs once you put them in the fry saver? You may like to try positioning an air-stone under the fry safer to encourage gentle water flow over the eggs.

Thanks for the advice Wolfy.

I remove the fry straight after hatching because the male has chosen to breed in a (small) shell and I've seen that as soon as the fry hatch out they begin to wriggle and spill out of the shell. Shells too small to hold them.

They do get enough water flow over them - don't think there's any issue in that regard. Once the last batch had fully absorded their egg yolks they were fine.

Cheers

Glenn

Hi all

I have a new batch of bristlenose fry - they're still friggling egg yolks really. Same thing is happening as occurred with my previous batch; finding fry with no tails etc every day and some appear to absorb their egg yolks too quickly and then die. I'm keeping the fry in one of those floating platis fry savers, which have slots in the side. The fry saver is floated in my community tank. I was wondering if my cuckoo catfish might be sucking the fry through the slots and eating them?

So the question is, do others experience this? Even in situations where the fry are separated from all other fish? Are the fry eating each other?

From my last batch (about 140 fry or more) I lost about half the fry, but since the fry reached several weeks old I didn't lose any further.

Any helps would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Glenn

i had keeped peacock fry with the yolk still in a hatchery and found if they were to young an could not free swim and to close together they would eat each others tails an die so i put in another tank with a very thin layer of rock and a couple of air stones for lots of water movement an try that it worked for me :thumbup:

Archived