White fluffy, sticky stuff

noyd

A friend had a similar sounding substance form in her tank, she took a sample to the lfs. They said it was a form of algae similar to mould. They told her to clean it off and dose the tank with some algae protector to prevent it coming back, it came back a little but not as much so she repeated the instructions and after a few weeks she never saw it again. I hope this is helpful :p

thanks, its really bad! Like when I went to pick the heater and the little things that hold it there off, the stuff went flying around in my tank, looked like it was snowing in there.

I quickly did a water change and got rid of most of it, some still there but oh well.

:wacko:

Hi,.

It's got nothing to do with your PH down, all new heater and internal filters get

a white substance around the suction cups.It's all so got nothing to do with aglae.

It's an oil based product that keep the rubber cups from drying out and becoming

brittle while in storage.It does not harm the fish and will go away in time.All you

can just clean it up.

Sean

Noyd, do you have a new piece of driftwood in your tank? I've had problems with fungus with new driftwood that although had been well disinfected (or so I thought; boiled and bleached, neutralised of course), has these fluffy white things growing and floating off.

Keep in mind guys and gals :) - fungi are VERY different to algae and you can't kill it in the same way ;).

However, bristlenose cats do seem to enjoy browsing on the hyphae which grow over logs ;).

Archived