Plecos

shelly

I have 2 normal sailfin plecos and a sailfin gold pleco is a 6*2*2 tank with about 15 american cichlids and recently they have been getting bashed(scales are lighter in patches and fins are missing chuncks). The 2 normal ones worse than the sailfin(who is also the biggest and the 1st pleco that was put in)

At 1st i thought it was the cichlids but i never saw them attack them(unless they swam near breeding pairs,not very often), so now i am thinking the sailfin is bashing them of a night.(and them getting a little back on him maybe)

Has anyone had a similar experiance with plecos? Are gold sailfins more aggressive then normal plecos?

Let me know if u have any ideas

Aaron

btw the 2 normal ones lives happily in a 3 ft tank together b4 this. Are different breeds of plecos more aggressive to each other than their own kind?

well they could just be figuring out there higharacky?

ps mikeW is sell your dream fish the zebra pice $2 000 just thought you mightwant to know :dntknw:

all my peppermints have chunks nipped from there fins but no more since they have grown ? maybe they learn ???

ps mikeW is sell your dream fish the zebra pice $2 000 just thought you mightwant to know :dntknw:

Wow 2000$$ definatley out of my price range as i would want to get colony of at least 5 they would have to half in price b4 i even considered them. Suppose i could get 1(but that will lead to 2 and then 3 and so on), but if i lost it i would be spewing.

Thanks for letting me know as i havent heard of them for sale for a very long time. Last price i was quoted was $800 for 1, $3000 for 5,$5000 for 10, wish i had have got them then.

Thanx heaps for the info cheers Aaron

Hi Shelly, large plecos are quite nasty to each other if there is not sufficient space. From the sounds of it your guys are getting to that stage. If they keep it upfor an extended period of time you would be best to reduce the number of large cats in your tank. Sometimes they will find a balance though, give it a few weeks and see how they go.

Archived