Shell Dweller Tanks

mdk54

G'day Guys,

Just thought I'd put some pics up of my two shellie tanks. I don't normally take pics of my tanks, But I ended up with a few after trying to get some pics of my new Multi fry! :D

These are my two shellie tanks.

My Multi's that I keep on my desk at work:

- 8 adults (3 males, 5 females)

- 400 x 256 x 280mm (28Ltr/7.5G) tank

- Crushed coral sand substrate

- AquaClear 50 HOB filter

- Feeding Wardley Premium Cichlid Crumbles

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And my Gold Occie tank I have at home:

- 6 Juvi's

- 440 x 280 x 300mm (37Ltr/9.8G) tank

- Crushed coral sand substrate

- AquaClear 50 HOB filter

- Feeding New Life Spectrum Grow, Frozen Brine Shrimp

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Very nice setups

III be interested in how the Occies do in a tank that size.Ive always ended up with them in big tanks(ie 4fters)They are so aggressive,as I said in another thread Im sure they are reincarnated red devils!!

I suspect you will end up with only one male then peace may rein although the females are no angels either :thumbup:

BTW how do you keep the algae away? They are crystal clear,very impressive

Thanks for the comments guys! :D

I have never really thought of them as being really clear. The only thing I could maybe attribute to that is my once a week water changes and oversized filters on both tanks.

Yes I have read that comment before Killiguy, and it made me laugh :D This is actually one of the reasons I got them! My plans are to eventually end up with a pair/trio and move the rest on or to another tank.

Funny you say that about the algae. I havn't yet had a problem in the Occie tank, but I am just starting to get a bit of brown algae growth in the Multi tank. I suspect due to the low light levels. I am considering getting a small bristlenose to help rectify this, but am not sure how it will go with the Multi fry.

Btw, Probably should have mentioned what camera I used... Well I was lazy, and couldn't be bothered getting my camera, So I just used my phone which suprisingly seems to take half decent photo's.

Great little set ups Ian. They look Cool.

For the algae. I use bristlenose fry in with my Regani's. Starting at about 1.5cm's. Once they grow to 3cm's I replace them with smaller ones again. Doesn't completely get rid of the algae but they keep it under control.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments fellas! :D

I actually started out with just a little 2L Betta aquarium, and then when I found the people at work liked the idea, went a little bigger with that one and got some multi's :p Who know's... maybe one day I'll convince them to put a 6fter in... :p

Just as an update, I have counted at least 15 multi fry now, looks like once they start, they go all out!

Archived