peppermint catfish

Foti

i have 5 pepermints in my comunity disply tank with both mbuna and pecocks in a 6 footer the peppermints all have there own spots were they hide with the biggest one in a fake hollow log. they range from smallest 7cm to the biggest at about 9cms

Q. 1 how big do they get?

Q. 2 should i split them off into diffrent tanks from now to their ideal conditions for one day they might partner and breed ?

because they only come out at night for they get nipped at ?

Q. 3 or should i put some breeding caves in the 6" and they should be alright to breed ?

the tanks ph is stable at about 7.4

well i found out they get to a size from 6 to 13 cm

but in anyone else's experence should they be moved ?

plus i forgot the members name who makes and sells caves with those glass bottoms???

well i found out they get to a size from 6 to 13 cm

but in anyone else's experence should they be moved ?

plus i forgot the members name who makes and sells caves with those glass bottoms???

If you want to breed them they should be moved.They can grow up to approx 15cms.The PH suits the Peppermints more than the African.Ph should be around 7.8-8.2 approx.I know Sloany sells caves,also Matthew sells the one's with the glass bottoms.

[quote name

I know Sloany sells caves,also Matthew sells the one's with the glass bottoms.

The PH suits the Peppermints more than the African.Ph should be around 7.8-8.2 approx.

thanks for the heads up more coral sand it is

has anyone tried slate caves there made from aquaholic ? they look nice ? if i get some made up what is a good shape ?

or should i just stick with sloany or matthew' caves?

[quote name

I know Sloany sells caves,also Matthew sells the one's with the glass bottoms.

The PH suits the Peppermints more than the African.Ph should be around 7.8-8.2 approx.

thanks for the heads up more coral sand it is

has anyone tried slate caves there made from aquaholic ? they look nice ? if i get some made up what is a good shape ?

or should i just stick with sloany or matthew' caves?

I have slate caves as well.I like the caves you get off sloany the best i just got 50 albino bristlenose fry out of one.They bred in approx 8PH with africans and all survied somehow.

I have slate caves as well.I like the caves you get off sloany the best i just got 50 albino bristlenose fry out of one.They bred in approx 8PH with africans and all survied somehow.

thanks im trying to get some alino's now for my 6ft

have decided to take the peppermints out put them on there own for abit see what happens ?

i know that they are very teritoral and i was just wondering is a 3ft to small to house and breed 5 peppermints ?

if so i have a 4 ft that i can put them in but i cant fill it past half way because it starts to leak ? but i do believe it is more than enough water

please any help would be much aprecated also temp and other conditions would be much help thank you :thumbup:

I have approx 15 Peppermints im holding in a 3 foot with a few other bristlenose there all about 6-9cms & pleco's.So it should be ok as far as i know.

:) thank you for your reply ? are they all breeding? :confused:

Hi Foti,

I bought some caves with the glass bottom from sloany. Unsure, if he advertises them but if you tell him what you are after he'll do it for you.

I currently have about 9 peppermint catfishes in a 2 ft tank with a large bit of driftwood and a couple of sloanys caves. Have had no probs so far and still no breeding but I think mine may need to grow a bit larger first.

Catfishes tend to be more active at night, this is why it is best to feed them at night.

Good luck with them.

Cheers,

Tootie

I have approx 15 Peppermints im holding in a 3 foot with a few other bristlenose there all about 6-9cms & pleco's.So it should be ok as far as i know.

:) thank you for your reply ? are they all breeding? :confused:

No not breeding too many in the tank.

Archived