Stupid mistake = leaking tank

benfarrow

Just rearranged my fish room. So after a few late nights everything was going well until stupidly I failed to notice that when my brother and I moved a NEW 6x2x2 on to a pellet rack he bumped about 5cm of foam from under the back corner, (just admitted he thought it didn’t matter so ignored it!) So after about 10cm of sand and 3 days of water in the tank, I pulled into the drive way to see water coming from the garage. After a moment to gather myself I walked in and found a crack from back corner to the top of the middle. So getting to the point can anyone recommend someone who could repair this or would the cost not be worth it.

Thanks Ben

:cryblow::angry::confused::(

G'day Ben

This is a tough question to answer as the best option is to purchase a replacement tank.

But.... If you want to attempt a repair I would do the following.

Leave the tank in the position it will finally go into. After of course replacing the foam with new foam, and also consider adding additional new foam to take up any other irregularities.

Obtain two pieces of glass.

One piece that covers the entire rear panel of glass.

One piece goes on the inside, this piece should cover the entire inside crack of the glass. A better option is to place in a piece that covers the entire rear of the tank, but this will require the removal of the tank bridges and so is not really viable.

Silicone both pieces into position at the same time. Use the least amount of silicone as possible. Less is more in this case. You are aiming for a small gap between the tank glass and the repair panels.

Leave the tank alone for at least a week

The glass will be expensive as you should use at least 8mm or 10mmglass.

I have seen it done before and it worked well for years.

Best of luck if you attempt to do this.

Goodluck

Matthew

G'day Ben

This is a tough question to answer as the best option is to purchase a replacement tank.

But.... If you want to attempt a repair I would do the following.

Leave the tank in the position it will finally go into. After of course replacing the foam with new foam, and also consider adding additional new foam to take up any other irregularities.

Obtain two pieces of glass.

One piece that covers the entire rear panel of glass.

One piece goes on the inside, this piece should cover the entire inside crack of the glass. A better option is to place in a piece that covers the entire rear of the tank, but this will require the removal of the tank bridges and so is not really viable.

Silicone both pieces into position at the same time. Use the least amount of silicone as possible. Less is more in this case. You are aiming for a small gap between the tank glass and the repair panels.

Leave the tank alone for at least a week

The glass will be expensive as you should use at least 8mm or 10mmglass.

I have seen it done before and it worked well for years.

Best of luck if you attempt to do this.

Goodluck

Matthew

i dont know too much about tank building but if he got a pieces the same size as the broken piece cant you just cut the silicone off the the broken piece then silicone the new piece on ?

sounds easyer like that same amount of glass same amount of silicone

so same cost

but this way you can use the new side as the front :thumbup:

i dont know too much about tank building but if he got a pieces the same size as the broken piece cant you just cut the silicone off the the broken piece then silicone the new piece on ?

sounds easyer like that same amount of glass same amount of silicone

so same cost

but this way you can use the new side as the front :thumbup:

G'day

This is absolutely an option :lol4: however Ben did not seem that confident to perform the repair. It would also require the removal and reattachment of the tank braces.

If Ben wants to go for this option I would probably suggest a professional perform this task as it can be tricky and if you stuff it up a bit wet :shock:

cya

Matthew

Archived