Calvus pairs

GlennC

Hi all

I have five Calvus; two are a breeding pair (one large male and a very small older female) and of the three singles I think one is definitely a male and the other either two females or a male and a female. Before the pair formed, and between each breeding, the large male appears interested in one of the other Calvus.

I'm going to sell three of the fish, and the most obvious thing to do would be to sell off the three singles. However, as I am not interested in raising Calvus fry at the moment, but definitely do want to keep the female, I might sell off the large breeding male and two singles, keeping my breeding female and the (apparent) non-breeding male.

The question I have is if I do sell off the large breeding male, what are the chances that the breeding female will breed with another Calvus male? Obviously I know there's no guarantee that the remaining male will grow to pair with my female.

I want to keep the female, but would prefer to keep the younger male and let him grow (and perhaps) breed later when I have the facilities to raise fry.

Cheers

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

The altos are not that fussy with pair selection, and you can keep larger colonies with different males/females spawning with each other. They are not life paris spawners. If you lose the dominant male or sell him, the next male in line willtake his place no problems.

I find it useful to always keep a backup of the altos, esp. if you want to eventually spawn them, as they grow so slow and can be hard to find if down the track you need to source a adult male or female. So, I'd personally hang onto the group.....and they look great.

Cheers

Grant

Hi Grant

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, after the fist spawning I noticed the male taking interest in another female Calvus, but more so that female showed great interest in the male. The breeding female then forced this other female away.

I would like to keep all of the Calvus, but the tanks too small. I'm also going to get rid of some Leptosoma too and get closer to the "one inch per gallon" stocking.

Wrt grow rates, I have personally experienced good growth rates when feeding mossy wrigglers.

Cheers

Glenn

The tanks

Hi Glenn,

The altos are not that fussy with pair selection, and you can keep larger colonies with different males/females spawning with each other. They are not life paris spawners. If you lose the dominant male or sell him, the next male in line willtake his place no problems.

I find it useful to always keep a backup of the altos, esp. if you want to eventually spawn them, as they grow so slow and can be hard to find if down the track you need to source a adult male or female. So, I'd personally hang onto the group.....and they look great.

Cheers

Grant

Archived