breeding Geophagus rio tapajos red caps

killiguy

Next week I will be receiving a pair of the above Geophagus.I havent been able to find out much about the fish apart from a brief article linked to Earthearers Australia and a TFH article.Both had their fish in quite hard alkaline water.I assumed coming from a clearwater rather than white water Amazonian tributary that they may prefer soft acid water esp given the other fish that come from that river(Satanoperca jurupari,Dicrossus maculatus,Taeniocara candidi,Apistogramma pertensis,Apistogramma gephyra,Apistogramma agassizii etc etc)all soft water fish.

They will be going into a 200L tank but I would like to know ideal water conditions and any other tips on breeding them.Maybe all they need is clean water and the parameters are not important.

Comments would be appreciated

they are very easy to breed and not very demanding with water parameter in my experience... once they start you cant stop them ... my pair lay will lay eggs not long after i remove the free swimming fry. i kept my pair in 2" tank with sponge filter and piece of slate for the eggs.

Archived