Mixing cichlids

Plecofan09

Guys,

New here

i am thinking to get a big 6 ft tank. and keeping some cichlids,thinking of getting adults breeders.

can i put them all in together and would they all breed?

like , electric yellow, electric blue, maingano,etc all the cichlids sold here on the forum.

or do they all have to be keep seperate in their own tank to breed .

thanks

Guys,

New here

i am thinking to get a big 6 ft tank. and keeping some cichlids,thinking of getting adults breeders.

can i put them all in together and would they all breed?

like , electric yellow, electric blue, maingano,etc all the cichlids sold here on the forum.

or do they all have to be keep seperate in their own tank to breed .

thanks

they will breed but u might find they will breed with each other. so your blues might brees with ur yellows etc. but if u dont want to sell the fry then its fine

This is a relatively common question on this forum and my answers have varied over the years but this is my belief now - if you want to breed your fish and get the most out of them, then it is hard to keep a mixed colony tank.

Take your three fish species you have chosen as an example. The electric blues can get massive. I have personally owned two males that were easily 20cm. They were not particularly aggressive but I had no females in the tank with them so they had nothing to fight over. However I feel if I did, the smaller fish would have copped a flogging. The mainganos when kept in a mixed tank usually always come up on top and are the dominant species. The electric yellows on the other hand are usually more timid, although I have had males that were possesed by Satan himself! But in general you will often find the yellows will breed less in a mixed tank.

My guess for this tank is this - the mainganos will be dominant and breed the most out of the three, blues will come next until they outgrow the mainganos and then the yellows will breed every so often. Would it be a productive tank? I'd say yes. My tip for you would be to get only 2 males of each fish and have single caves along the entire length of the tank but keeping a small space between each. This was it prevents a single male claiming the entire rock wall.

Archived