My Fish

joshua

Hey everyone!

Im new to this hobby and forum, I met a few of you at the last auction and will be going to the next major one coming up as well, cant wait! :)

Anyway, I have posted some pics of my new tank and fish in my album, let me know what you think...

Josh

Hi Josh,

Lots of different fish in your tank.....

African/central American/South American and Asian....

Fish are pretty hardy and whilst in a perfect world they should have different water chemistry no doubt that shouldn't be a big problem....however these fish do have different dietary requirements.

Americans prefer a "meatier" diet whilst Africans should have more "greens"

feeding may be a problem....a diet for the Americans may cause Africans to get "Bloat"

If any of them pair up and start to mate....it could be on for young and old in your tank

Personally I wouldn't keep the variety of cichlids from different parts of the world in the same tank....but hey when I started I had Oscars with swordtails and black sharks in a 2 foot tank!!!

It is very easy when you start just to buy the fish that you like without understanding their different needs.....do a bit of research and ask questions. Get an understanding of how big fish you buy get and what species are compatible.....it will be more satisfying(and less expensive) in the long haul

Hope you will enjoy fish keeping as much as I do!

Hi Josh.

Can you put a link up mate.

Hey Dave,

Here you go,

http://www.aceforums.com.au/index.php?act=...m&album=285

Josh

Hi Josh

Nice tank you and Dave have similar taste in fish :thumbup::shock:

Cheers

Craig

Thanks Craig.

Yeah Dave introduced me to the hobby, so I guess a bit of it sortov rubbed off on me... :lol1:

No worries mate I hope your fish settled in well that you got from me

Cheers

Craig

Hi Josh.

Can you put a link up mate.

Hey Dave,

Here you go,

http://www.aceforums.com.au/index.php?act=...m&album=285

Josh

Hi Josh

Nice tank you and Dave have similar taste in fish :thumbup::shock:

Cheers

Craig

Thanks Craig.

Yeah Dave introduced me to the hobby, so I guess a bit of it sortov rubbed off on me... :lol1:

No worries mate I hope your fish settled in well that you got from me

Cheers

Craig

Yeah they're going well, a few of the male Sciaenochromis fryeri are starting to colour up nicely, showing more and more blue everyday.

Hi Josh,

Lots of different fish in your tank.....

African/central American/South American and Asian....

Fish are pretty hardy and whilst in a perfect world they should have different water chemistry no doubt that shouldn't be a big problem....however these fish do have different dietary requirements.

Americans prefer a "meatier" diet whilst Africans should have more "greens"

feeding may be a problem....a diet for the Americans may cause Africans to get "Bloat"

If any of them pair up and start to mate....it could be on for young and old in your tank

Personally I wouldn't keep the variety of cichlids from different parts of the world in the same tank....but hey when I started I had Oscars with swordtails and black sharks in a 2 foot tank!!!

It is very easy when you start just to buy the fish that you like without understanding their different needs.....do a bit of research and ask questions. Get an understanding of how big fish you buy get and what species are compatible.....it will be more satisfying(and less expensive) in the long haul

Hope you will enjoy fish keeping as much as I do!

Hey Rod54

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah I know you are not meant mix geographical regions, but I have done some research and I have already been told the Africans will bloat on a meat diet. I am refraining from feeding the Americans meat until they get a bit older, and I can figure out how to give them their protein separtely. I have sourced a 4x2x2 (a mate gave me one) in the event of a fights breaking out due to a couple wanting to mate. It will also be a spare hospital tank incase of any sickness.

I have researched all the fish I own, I have been talking to experienced breeders and have asked many questions. I made sure that they should all be able to coexist. (I've got to watch the Hartwegi when he gets older though, hopefully he is a nice fish and not have a bad personality!)

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Josh

Fair enough Josh....no need to justify your combination..... as long as you are aware of the consequences....it's your tank

Personally I'd set up the 4x2x2 for the Africans....but hey....perhaps I'm just more risk adverse! :p

Archived