sources of sand for cichlids

killiguy

I have several large tanks I will be setting up for Tang.sand sifters and some small ones for Apistogrammas and am after an inexpensive source of sand.My LFS is selling a 5kg bag for $25.00 which hardly fills a 2 ft tank.Is there a cheaper source??I have used sand from my pool filter with good success years ago but tossed it when I down sized.I need it to be inactive on pH for the apistos.Any suggestions??I live in Geelong Victoria

I have several large tanks I will be setting up for Tang.sand sifters and some small ones for Apistogrammas and am after an inexpensive source of sand.My LFS is selling a 5kg bag for $25.00 which hardly fills a 2 ft tank.Is there a cheaper source??I have used sand from my pool filter with good success years ago but tossed it when I down sized.I need it to be inactive on pH for the apistos.Any suggestions??I live in Geelong Victoria

Hi killiguy, dowhat I have just done, go to your nearest Bunnings and get yourself a few bags of 'Washed Sydney Sand' I have approx 50 tanks and will be changing them all to this once I get both the time and the $$$ to do so.

Why?

It is a very good grade of sand that requires only the most basic of rinses before adding it to your tanks. I am currently using it in my fry tanks and they seem to be happy as larry with it :clap

Also as it is only around $6.50 per 25kg bag :thumbup:

Hope this helps ;)

probably asilly question but how do you wash sand?

i use finer gravel and use one of my mets to sift the gravel while washing it

no ones ever told me how to

how do other people even wash gravel?

sorry to hijak your post

brandt

I get mine from the local garden supply...$7 for around 25 kg.

I did get some of the Bunnings Washed Sand but it was filthy, I think they had washed it with mud or something. <_<

I wash it by half filling a bucket with the sand and just run a hose into it, swirling around with my hand until the water flows clear...do it on the lawn so the grass gets a water as well.

Mike :)

I get mine from the local garden supply...$7 for around 25 kg.

I did get some of the Bunnings Washed Sand but it was filthy, I think they had washed it with mud or something. <_<

I wash it by half filling a bucket with the sand and just run a hose into it, swirling around with my hand until the water flows clear...do it on the lawn so the grass gets a water as well.

Mike :)

That is the same way I wash mine, works fine.

Noddy65, you must have got a bad batch as I have now used several bags and had no problems with it. :dntknw: As I said, a very quick rinse and in it goes.

i've been using bunnies sand for ages, it washes well; cant say that i've ever had a really muddy batch!

all my tanks have it in there, including my reef tank. Its cheap and all my sandsifters and shellies like it! ( they tell me, I swear they do! )

I can vouch that the Bunnings play sand is very very dirty. It claims to have been washed on the packaging, but after about 20 rinses it still left my tank cloudy for a couple of days with 8000+ lph of filtration. Pool filter sand is definitely the cleanest sand I have used, but it costs around 2-3 times the price of the play sand.

hey killiguy

i bought my sand from bunnings (white wash sand) only $6 for a 25kg bag. but before putting it in make sure you wash it first. i wash my sand the same way as "Noddy65"

its cheap and looks awesome

The washed sand from bunnings is great - was $6 or so last time I bought it for a 25kg bag. I've purchased probably 6 bags over the last few years and each one has been filthy. Takes ages to clean! The benefits are great though - providing you have good circulation in your tank the sand prevents nutrient sinks that can cause excessive algae growth as all the detriment ends up in the filter where it should be removed manually with regular cleans.

The washed sand from bunnings is great - was $6 or so last time I bought it for a 25kg bag. I've purchased probably 6 bags over the last few years and each one has been filthy. Takes ages to clean! The benefits are great though - providing you have good circulation in your tank the sand prevents nutrient sinks that can cause excessive algae growth as all the detriment ends up in the filter where it should be removed manually with regular cleans.

So what kind of substrate is good for African, especially for Tang and tropheus? I heard a lot of people said that coral sand will keep the PH up which is good for Tang, but then I see many people using sand as substrate for their Tang and tropheus, which one is easiest to clean and which one is good for Tang and tropheus display tank?

Thanks

Kevin

Coral sand is only effective in buffering your pH to ~7.5. It can then maintain your pH at that level but cannot raise it any higher. For some most tangs this level is most likely to low so you will need to add some form of buffer.

I prefer using a substrate with a sand consistancy. What type of sand that is doesn't really matter. Beach sand (Basically what the stuff from bunnings is) doesn't raise the pH much at all unless you collect it yourself and it contains lots of shell fragments. However you can get aragonite that has been crushed into a fine powder/sand which is pure white and has the same benefits as beach sand, except this raises the pH and maintains it at ~7.5 like coral sand aswell.

The three options it would come down to for me would be:

- Beach Sand

- Crushed Aragonite

- Fine Coral Sand

None of the above would have a quality that I feel seperates them form the others so it comes down to your choice.

Thanks guys for all those comments.

I did buy "sandpit sand" from Miter 10 at one stage but it seemed to be all mud.I will go out to Bunnings and check it out.

I am getting some Enantiopus melanogenys(or is it Xenotilapia now??)and need to do it properly,and have several Apistos which will like a sand substrate

Thanks again

Archived