Afra cobue not going full term with mouthfull

intern1

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem i have had two females not go through full term with mouthfulls. The tank is not overally agressive, the first female was aroun 5-6 cm and held for around a week. the second was around 6-7cm and only held for around 3-4 days. The species that are in the tank are 8 cobues 2 males 6 females between 5-8cm and 5 protemalas tangerine tigers 5-8cm. The tangerine tigers arent agressive at all they just cruze along in the tank.

I do water changes weekly 20-15% and there are no readings of nitrite and ammonia in the tank.

just want to know if anyone has this problem and how or what the do to resolve it

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem i have had two females not go through full term with mouthfulls. The tank is not overally agressive, the first female was aroun 5-6 cm and held for around a week. the second was around 6-7cm and only held for around 3-4 days. The species that are in the tank are 8 cobues 2 males 6 females between 5-8cm and 5 protemalas tangerine tigers 5-8cm. The tangerine tigers arent agressive at all they just cruze along in the tank.

I do water changes weekly 20-15% and there are no readings of nitrite and ammonia in the tank.

just want to know if anyone has this problem and how or what the do to resolve it

Some girls just don't like the taste and spit them out, many reasons why a common one is that they were stripped from there mothers mouth before they were ready, thus very little implanting. Next time you notice there's a full mouth try not to do a water change for 10 days though be sure to add some prime to the tank. It can take up to 10 spawns before she will hold full term. The other option is to milk her after 3-4 days and finish the job in a net above an air stone, gently turning! But patience is the key, it may just take them a little while to figure it all out. Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

Some girls just don't like the taste and spit them out, many reasons why a common one is that they were stripped from there mothers mouth before they were ready, thus very little implanting. Next time you notice there's a full mouth try not to do a water change for 10 days though be sure to add some prime to the tank. It can take up to 10 spawns before she will hold full term. The other option is to milk her after 3-4 days and finish the job in a net above an air stone, gently turning! But patience is the key, it may just take them a little while to figure it all out. Hope this helps

so after the 10days would you place them in a fry net or in the egg tumbler or does this depend if they have a yoak sack or not ????

so after the 10days would you place them in a fry net or in the egg tumbler or does this depend if they have a yoak sack or not ????

Personally I prefer to let nature run its course and patience will prevail. But in saying so, I know breeders that strip from day 1, thus will incur a low survival rate among the fry, but it also allows the female to get back in to condition sooner thus spawn sooner. But as you said 10 days, I would (a) let them be, if she has held this long she will continue to hold. (b) If you do strip, I would expect a 100% survival rate.

Archived