Sick tetra

Mattzilla

I have a Cardinal Tetra that has some white stuff coming out of it.... not sure if it's parasites or worms or fungus or what????

IPB Image

IPB Image

I have started a salt treatment to see if that helps.

I noticed 2 other cardinals with the same symptoms about a month ago but they where a bit worse off so i culled them. I plan on doing the same with this one

Any experts out there able to diagnose and propose a treatment? i am concerned that the other tank inhabitants might catch it and i have some of my best fish in that tank

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

As Priscacara wrote that sunken belly is a worry. Are all of thier bellies sunken like this one or is it just this fish? If it is just this fish, then it is not eating for some reason or it is losing any benefit from consumed food. If it's all of them it might be under feeding though that isn't common in this hobby.

If the growths do not appear to be comming from under the scales & they are white & fluffy like cotton wool then it is a fungal infection & Trisulphates should take care of that.

If on the other hand the growths are erupting from under the skin/scales like warts, then it may be tumors & it may be better for the fish to be destroyed. Watch for signs of infection on other fish.

As Priscacara wrote that sunken belly is a worry. Are all of thier bellies sunken like this one or is it just this fish? If it is just this fish, then it is not eating for some reason or it is losing any benefit from consumed food. If it's all of them it might be under feeding though that isn't common in this hobby.

If the growths do not appear to be comming from under the scales & they are white & fluffy like cotton wool then it is a fungal infection & Trisulphates should take care of that.

If on the other hand the growths are erupting from under the skin/scales like warts, then it may be tumors & it may be better for the fish to be destroyed. Watch for signs of infection on other fish.

all the other tetras seem to be fat and healthy

thanks

all the other tetras seem to be fat and healthy

thanks

Matt,

I have the exact same problem as you with my cardinals. It is "anchor worm".

Mine have had it on and off for the past 3 months. I have tried treating them with Parasite treatments but it just won't leave. I have resorted to just throwing them out as soon as they show signs of having it. I have put about 6 aside in a small tank and treated them seperately but with no success. They come out of my planted tank with Rasboras, Peppermint Bristlenose, Corydoras and Siamese algae eaters which have not been affected by the parasite. ???? I had some German Rams in the tank when the parasite struck and it wiped them out aswell. I have no idea how it arrived in my tank but it did. Thing is I don't think it came in on the Tetras because I had the same ones for over a year. The only thing I can think of is it came in on driftwood or plants. If I have any luck in eradicating the parasite I will be sure to let you know.

Cheers,

Ben

Archived