Lighting effect help?

jamie2548

Hi Everyone. :raisehand: Could anyone help me with a cheap choice of getting a moonlight effect for my 4 ft african display tank. I was looking at these ones but wasnt sure if they would be good enough or not. Ideally I would like the top of the line ones. but a bit exy for me. Tried making them myself once aswell but that turned out a shamozzle :( any help would be great. Thanks :thumbhttp://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/l...e/prod_235.html

Hi Everyone. :raisehand: Could anyone help me with a cheap choice of getting a moonlight effect for my 4 ft african display tank. I was looking at these ones but wasnt sure if they would be good enough or not. Ideally I would like the top of the line ones. but a bit exy for me. Tried making them myself once aswell but that turned out a shamozzle :( any help would be great. Thanks :thumbhttp://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/l...e/prod_235.html

You can get moonlight tubes to fit a standard fluro fitting for about $25. Single fluro batten 90cm will be about $30. More if you need to use a proper aquarium batten to cope with high humidity under a hood.

I don't use closed in hoods, my lights have lots of air around them. 156w light over my 4ft cost me $160 including the moonlight.

Thanks for that.. but Im trying to avoid the expense and hassle cause i only have a single 4 foot light and dont want to have to change tubes or buy another unit. These ones in the link looks easy to install and on its own power supply :thumb

I have been trialing some Cold Cathode Tubes from Jaycar. They come in white and blue with inverter. These are the type used inside your PC tower. Runs off 12Vdc and can be dimmed. I have 1 set in my 4' and dim them right down at night. Unfortunity you don't get the shimmer on the surface like you do with a metal halide but a heap cheaper.

If your want cheap & easy & you are not particular about it being a specific moonlight, just get some clear xmas style lights & shorten the string to get the desired brigtness. You can install with a few pins. I've done this on two of my tanks & find it an excellent solution with no ill affects on my fish. It should cost under $30 & take you about ten minutes to install.

If you can post pics of your hood so can see what' where, I will be able to come up with a cheap easy to install system for you.

I saw that moonlght on that aquarium and it cost 55 bucks pretty expensive, keep an eye out for a 2nd hand cheap 4 foot double light you might grab a bargain, then later as masked man said get moonlight tube or the colour blue and mix it with white light will look awsome, or if you dont wanna do it that way order these from china super cheap only 13 bucks for this moon light strip

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/24-LED-Aquarium-Moo...id=p3286.c0.m14

Archived