What size do Lionheads (Steatocranus Casuarius) breed?

Finn

Tonight my other half was checking the 4ft tank which houses our Rainbow Cichlids and our Lionheads and noticed some little fish swimming around...........

Last week he took the Rainbow fry out so we guessed they were not Rainbows - different colouring and shape.

So my question is what size do Lionheads breed?

Ours are only around 5cm so am shocked that they have breed. We have several pairs in the tanks so are unsure which pair it is. We have had the Lionheads about 2 1/2 months.

Well, judging off what you've said its abit hard to make a decision...

You should be-able to identify if a mouthbrooder such as a lionhead has spawned as is will not eat for the duration and its buccal cavity will have

increased. This period should be evident during feeding times, but since you

have missed it, try searching for a lionhead that has lost a fair amount of weight.

Sorry, don't know what I was thinking when I wrote ^^ about lionheads being mouthbrooders.

Well, judging off what you've said its abit hard to make a decision...

You should be-able to identify if a mouthbrooder such as a lionhead has spawned as is will not eat for the duration and its buccal cavity will have

increased. This period should be evident during feeding times, but since you

have missed it, try searching for a lionhead that has lost a fair amount of weight.

Sorry am confused - I believed that Lionheads were egg layers not mouthbrooders???

It is not unheard of for Lionheads to breed at that size. Most of the times the females don't get all too much bigger then 7-8cm. It's the males who get to the whopping 15cm and over.

Just some quick facts from when I was breeding these guys.

- They usually pair for life. (I repeat USUALLY)

- They are perhaps one of the most secretive fish when breeding. You often will have no idea they have breed unless you are very observant until you see the fry free swimming about 5 days or so after hatching.

- Are usually very good parents and most get it right the first time.

Archived