How to get rid of algae on plants

Vukie.

Hi guys,

first of all an big apology for the vaugness of the post im about to type, when it comes to plants im a complete noob :B

Ok so i have some plants in a cichlid tank, they are the common ones you get from your LFS that are always attached to driftwood and have the big green leaeves on them. The are growing really well in my tank and im constantly cutting them back and attaching the new plant to another log so im gettign my monies worth :8

Only problem i have is im getting algae on the leaves, the rest of the tank is clean it onyl seems to grow on the leaevs and it is very hard to clean off as i dont want to damage the plant, any way to get rid of it?

Not much of an expert with plants either but I know there is some liquid stuff available that you could try. Also, driftwood is not really ideal for cichlids as it acts as a buffer to change your water chemistry into unfavourable conditions that cichlids will not like. If its only small it shouldn't really matter but just thought you should know in case your conditions change significantly.

its not the black hair/beard algae, but my father in law does have this in his tank and your right the BN wont go near it, any way to get rid of that?

the algae on my plants seems to be the common one you see on glass, just very spotty and very hard, i use a credit card to clean it off the glass but cant get it off the plants, will try the dino spit, do you know of any LFS's in SYD that stock it? i dont want to harm my fish as its my display tank so can you suggest something more fish friendly? or should i just start with small doses?

as a side not, first time i have ever heard of driftwood not being good for cichlids, i have 2 big pieces in my 4 footerfor about the past 5 yrs and never had a problem with fish dieing

Driftwood can lower the ph in some cases.

If you Americans they won't mind.

If you have Africans and plenty of limestone, coral, or other buffing agents it will rarely have an effect on the Ph unless you have a small body of water and a lot of driftwood.

• 5 weeks later...

i have some true Siamese algae eaters if you want them i will sell you 4 for $20 they are over a year old quite good size and are doing a great job in cleaning my plants however theres now not any algae left so i only need my other 4. be careful if you do buy them from a shop because alot of people will sell you flying foxes instead and they dont eat the algae. also, otto's wont survive with cichlids just thought it was worth a mention. my S.A.E are a good size so they should be ok. pm if u want to buy em i live 45 min drive from u

ant

Archived