Baby Brine Shrimp Eggs

Barracuda

Do they go "off" ie do they have a use-by-date?

If I were to buy 100g for example, I know this will last me a long time, so I'm not sure whether the eggs will still be ok in a year or however long it will take to use up.

Also, how is the hatch rate determined? "Better" eggs? For example:

This one has an 80% hatch rate, and is cheaper:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GSL-Brine-Shrimp-Eg...%3A1%7C294%3A30

Compared to this one, which has a 95% hatch rate:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Brine-Shrimp-Eggs-G...p3286.m20.l1116

Will the hatch rate be a significant thing to consider in making my purchase? Keeping in mind I have never hatched BBS before...

Thanks

If cost is no issue, go for the better hatch rate. If you are cost conscious, then go for the best you can afford, as you get more hatch per gram, but even the lower grade eggs will still produce many bbs, so don't be too worried.

Eggs will last a long time if they are kept in the dark, away from heat and moisture. Put them in an airtight container, add a silica gel dessicant pouch to absorb moisture, and put them in a cold cupboard or the fridge. They will last a year like that.

Hi Barracuda,

Interesting to see someone else going to purchase these brine shrimp eggs off ebay; I was just about to place an order for the 100g pack.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=170357207552

There was a video with this guy on youtube who supposedly hatched something like 35 year old eggs... but who knows :lol4: Basically though, so long as the cysts do not re-hydrate or become hydrated, they will remain in a state of suspended animation (dormant) until they are put into water. Remember air can become moist and over time this is probably what makes the eggs go bad, hence the reason for keeping them in a dry and dark area.

As for the sellers, I have bought off "e.alpha_deals" but had a minor issue that he didn't think I paid him (it was resolved and everything was all good though ;) ) In terms of packaging, when I bought them off him they came in one of the resealable glad bags, which I thought was quite unappealing and odd. However in saying this I strongly believe that it may still be better to purchase his brine shrimp eggs. I say this because the guy who claims that his eggs have a 95% is in my opinion telling complete lies :angry: ; from what I've read about the harvest this year at the Salt lake (where the eggs are havested), hatch rates have been reported to be quite low, hence why I believe he is lying with his claims on 95% hatch rates :p . On the other hand, if I am wrong, then I can almost guarantee you that the eggs he is selling must be from an older batch (who knows how long ago). And if they are old, then you may end up with a lower hatch rate anyways. Thats about all I can say on the topic, but goodluck with whichever you choose to buy and remember to always do your research :thumbup:

Cheers,

John

Thanks John

Yea, the guy does say:

PLEASE NOTE: PICTURE SHOWS A TIN WITH 16 OZ or 454 grams of BRINE SHRIMP EGGS

THEY ARE REPACKAGE INTO SEALED BAGS AS STATED BELOW

Hopefully those glad bags are good enough though!

Let me know how those eggs go for you :)

G'day, first post but long time reader.

I use Artemia Revolution, it's from Nt Laboratories in the UK. It comes in a bottle and the eggs are de-shelled. You can add it directly to a tank as is or hatch them out. The eggs are soft and every small fry like Synodontis Petricola love it. I have only had good hatch rates using it. So far nothing bad to say about it.

The 120g bottle has a 4,000,000 larvae guaranteed hatch rate. (I tried but lost count) :roll

I've used other eggs before but nothing has come close to the above.

I found them on ebay UK and they took a week to turn up on my door. They also have everything you need to breed them like food and salts if needed.

As for how long do they last, I ordered two bottles and over the past two years have open both and they still hatch out today.

www.ntlabs.co.uk

But ebay UK was the only place I could order them at the time.

Scott

Im one of the fish suppliers for Bay wholesalers(not a big one)but go through serious amounts of Brine shrimp eggs(I hatch 2 tsps of eggs twice per day).I think decapsulation is crap unless your dealing with small numbers(re fiddle if DIY or expense if not).I get eggs in large 650g tins either from Age of aquariums or via aquatopia.I keep them in a rubber sealed jar (like for preserved fruit etc )and keep a few silicon dessicant packs in them.I keep them in the fridge.I prefer great salt lake eggs as the BBS are small and some Asian eggs have come with Hydra(I swear)When I wasnt breeding so much the eggs had a good hatch rate for +12 months kept this way.Now a tin lasts only a few months.Cold and lack of moisture are the key to long term viability in storage

2 tsps a day and you dont like decap eggs???

Before I sold my native fish hatchery I was hatching out around the same, a little more maybe 8 tsps for 40,000 Cod and Yella fry per day. I found every quickly it was quicker to hatch decap eggs than eggs out of the tin. I decap them myself as it is alot cheaper.

Cant beleave anyone hatching out 2 tsps per day cant see that decap eggs hatch faster, higher hatch rate and a hell of alot cleaner than non decap eggs.

I wouldnt go with the bottle stuff if you need 10g to 40g of eggs per day. But if you do need that much, you may want to look at decaping ya own eggs, you want look back.

Now I play with fish tank fish (and love it) and the bottle I find is great for what I do now.

Scott

mmmmm Maybe I need to relook at then. I remember fiddling around years ago and giving up and the pre decapsulated stuff was far too expensive ;but that was when it was just being suggested,20 years ago.I feel like an old dinosaur :cryblow:

I had no probs with customs. They turned up just fine, no import permit and I've had two lots sent. If you can buy them here, then do it. $28 is a good buy. I couldnt fine them here when I was looking.

I have not had alot of luck decapping my own eggs.

It's probably just that I'm all thumbs, but the eggs have either not hatched, or still had shells, which would suggest that I under or over did it.

killiguy's thoughts are my own exactly, only I'm just hatching 1/2 tsp a day :)

Maybe I should look at it again...

Archived