Why oh why did our Fry die?

Bedge

So, on Tuesday (or Wednesday) I pulled out 4 fry and put them in a net in the tank.

Not sure what they were. Maybe empress's or peacocks. They were free swimming and formed etc

I got Sera mikropan, and I put a little bit in each day .. they seemed to eat ok. Took them a while to figure it out.

Two died Wednesday morning. One died this morning and one died this arvo.

As this is my first attempt at raising fry - and ideas as to why they might have died?

Thanks.

Hey Bede,

Badluck with the fry mate.

Sounds like it could be lack of oxygen in the net. Did you have an airstone in there? or was water able to be moved through the net? (like a power head pointed at it?)

I have had similar experiences with nets/fry savers and believe it was due to no water movement within.

Sometimes a film would appear on the surface in the frysaver i think caused by food.

I use frysavers from matthew now, where water moves through them constantly. If they are all being used I use a fish net or fry saver net and have either an airstone within or i place it infront of running water.

Goodluck with the next lot.

Cheers

Joel

Hey,

I had them in front of the filter output. Maybe about 20 cm away in distance?

Hey,

Yeah, that sounds fine provided that the flow is strong enough.

I have never used Sera mikropan before, but usually have success with baby brine shrimp (which is recommended by most) or crushed flake/pellet. From a brief read online, it sounds as though micropan is a liquid or paste food for fry. Does it mess up your water?

Apart from that, is there any chance of high nitrates or even an amonia spike?

I have also had problems in the past with larger water changes than usuall. The fry dont seem to handle it as well as the adults. Dont suppose you did a water change in the last four days?

Cheers

Joel

I think that most likely the other fish (adults in the main tank) killed them. They usually stalk and bite them through the net. I would suggest either putting a plastic fry saver inside the net fry saver or as stated above use one of mathews fry saver or make one from an ice cream conatiner.

dont feel bad I have killed many many many fry!

I think that most likely the other fish (adults in the main tank) killed them. They usually stalk and bite them through the net. I would suggest either putting a plastic fry saver inside the net fry saver or as stated above use one of mathews fry saver or make one from an ice cream conatiner.

dont feel bad I have killed many many many fry!

Thats a good point - have also had fry killed the same way... Even in the hard plastic fry savers with slits in the side, the adults somehow still managed to get them.

Can also second the many many fry deaths :B

All part of learning in the hobby.

Cheers

Joel

The sera food is a really really fine powder type of thing.

I actually did do a water change! The night I spotted them I cleaned out the whole tank and did a 50% water change!

hi all

i have used the sera micropan food for my own fry in the past and found it to be a very good feed for my fry but now i just fine grind some flake and feed them that...

I don't use net type fry savers as the adults in the main tank DO kill the fry .. i have seen this my self..

I now make my own fry savers out of ice cream containers and p.v.c fly screen mesh and use silicon to glue foam on the side of the container to keep them a float... and i love the ice cream :)

I also think the 50% water change is not a good idea unless your replacing it with aged water... 25% is ok with tap water...

good luck next time as this is how we all learn ... :)

Ohhhh! haha. I was seriously wondering how the actual crate / box stuff that eggs come in, would not get soggy! haha.

I am so confused now as what to do! So maybe I should invest in a more sturdy fry net or similar?

One of my peacocks is holding now. yay!

The sera food is a really really fine powder type of thing.

I actually did do a water change! The night I spotted them I cleaned out the whole tank and did a 50% water change!

sounds to me like the water change might of been the culprit - I made the same mistake last week with my baby Caudo's.

Woke up the 2nd morning and couldnt see any so I did a water change (only about 15%), half hour later the babies came out to play.

Next morning they were all dead. live and learn, I wont make that same mistake again.

cheers

L

Archived