My Aggressive Cichlid

Alex D

Hello everyone,

I have a medium size tank, roughly 100cm wide and 50cm deep with 2 cichlids inside. Today I purchased 2 bristle nose and when i put them inside the tank, my yellow is always staring at it, and then it attacks it.

The bristle nose and yellow is roughly the same size, (4cm)

I already have plastic grass plants+ logs inside the tank to provide them with hiding places..

Please give me with some advice on what can i do to prevent my bristle nose from dying?

Thanks!

I had the same problem before - bought 2 Albino BN and put them in my cichlid tank, i have about 25 mix of cichlids, and unfortunately the 2 BN only last for about a week. I picked up what was left from one of them in the morning...only the head was left over, and the other one was never to be found. From then on I don't buy any BN for my tank anymore, i guess my cichlids just don't like them !!! :(

Having said that, im pretty sure a lot of people out there have great experiences keeping BN so they can give you good tips. Though I think if your BN is big enough in size to defend on their own, they should be fine, it might take a little while for the yellow to get used to them, and how odd :confused: , my electric yellows are the most friendly guys in the tank, they are so peaceful and never complain !!!

Hope all goes well

Thanks for the reply guys..

I previously have 4 cichlids in the tank, but 2 died.. If i am to buy more cichlids am i suppose to look for ones that are the same size as my current ones?

and also, how many cichlids would be appropriate for my tank size?

really depends on wat kinda cichlid's u have and wat kind u wont to put in...i have 3 inch cichlid's with 1 inch ones the big ones only worry abt the other bigger ones to show who's boss..fish are like poeple in away some are just bastards ..i have 4 BN and the cichlids just ignore them.. gettin a couple more cichlids might take the focus off the BN..id say that would be ur best bet

Archived