4ft set up

intern1

Wanting to setup a 4ft with africans tank in order to breed

love the look of red empress's and pretty confident i will be getting 4 of those hopefully 1 male and 3 females as well as bristlenose common albino or peperminents catfish not sure which ones. But not sure what else to put in the way of africans does anyone have any ideas

been looking at tropheus but have been put of due to there agression n due to being vegetarian also been looking at alto compriceps but they seem bit placid

I also have a 2ft and a 46cm cubed tank but will be getting more soon

thanks

john

Not sure if you want just your empress breeding or the others you get as well. I have P. saulosi , cobwe and hongi groups in mine that I hope will breed and they are small, fairly peacefull but hold their own in agression so far. The males look quite nice in pale blue with dark stripes.

Empress are a species I'm looking at for my next tank but undecided yet, so many good choices of Africans to pick from.

Not sure if you want just your empress breeding or the others you get as well. I have P. saulosi , cobwe and hongi groups in mine that I hope will breed and they are small, fairly peacefull but hold their own in agression so far. The males look quite nice in pale blue with dark stripes.

Empress are a species I'm looking at for my next tank but undecided yet, so many good choices of Africans to pick from.

Yeh i would like to breed what ever is in the tank cobwe's are very nice looking fish as are hongi but i would need to keep them in schools of around 6 minimum but there also pretty aggressive not sure

More info about my tanks the 4ft will have coral sand substrate mixed with river pebbles while the rest will have river pebbles. All the rocks are a form of sandstone which iv picked up. If i see the pH is to low ill add a few coral rocks shells n stuff but first want to choose the fish

the tanks are 58 gallons 46 gallons and a 10 gallon tank sorry 4got to add that some people dont work in cm

Been searching around and have got an idea or two

tank 1

red empress 4

cynotilapia afra 6

copadichromis azureus 4

pepermint/albino/common bristlenose 4

tank 2

red empress 4

alto compriceps 4

plus something else ????

Anyone have any ideas on the tanks want the red empress and know leaning towards having the cynotilapia afra ??????????????????

If you're after some nice adult Red Empress, go for a drive and head to one of our sponsors.....Aquariums @ Asquith. They have a large amount of breeding females and really nice males. They are selling them as breeding trios......great way to get started.

Just be little careful mixing mbuna with your Red Empress, as they can be a tad on the aggresive side, but in a four foot tank, all should be ok....fingers crossed.

Good luck and choose well.

Tank 1 sounds fine providing you provide plenty of caves for the smaller cobue to have their own territory. A problem I see with tank 2. Alto's are known egg stealers. They won't eat all the eggs if the red empress breed but you will probably notice a very obvious decline in batch size. Problem #2 is that the comps are a smaller fish with a slow growth rate, where as red empress tend to be on the larger size and grow at quite a reasonable rate. I'd suggest having a malawi tank as tank 1 and a tanganyikan tank as tank 2. (So keep the comps with some cyps and shellers etc)

Tank 1 sounds fine providing you provide plenty of caves for the smaller cobue to have their own territory. A problem I see with tank 2. Alto's are known egg stealers. They won't eat all the eggs if the red empress breed but you will probably notice a very obvious decline in batch size. Problem #2 is that the comps are a smaller fish with a slow growth rate, where as red empress tend to be on the larger size and grow at quite a reasonable rate. I'd suggest having a malawi tank as tank 1 and a tanganyikan tank as tank 2. (So keep the comps with some cyps and shellers etc)

What would be the smallest size tank to put alto comps in (a pair) do you think a 90L tank will be 2 small

No a 90L would be fine. I'm assuming it is an aqua one / aqua nova 620 tank and if you put plenty of rocks along the back and shells at the front you could have a group of alto comps in there.

No its a 45cm cubed tank

if i can find them in for a good price 15-20 i will have a go and see what happens with 4 gold heads and see whats happens

I was going to set up the tank with white coral sand bottom and one large rock in the centre and place all shells on in the for corners.

Any opinions or sugestions???????????

Archived