Cool Room Panels

Sloany

Hi all,

Thinking of building a fish room using second hand cool room panels.

Just starting to do the homework on what it will all cost, etc.

Anyone know where I can pick some of these up from and what I should be expecting to pay?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shane

Shane,

Have a look on eBay. Quite often you can findsomeone closing or seliing cool room from a business. My brother runs a cafe and he boought a massive one for what I thought at the time was a good price. For the life me I have no idea what it cost him. If i see him I will ask where he got it from. I am pretty sure it was new and he went to Sydney to grab it

cheers

rosco

Thanks Rosco,

Have been looking on Ebay, not alot on there atm, but wil keep looking.

I'm wanting to compare what the cost of putting up the panels will be against putting up a frame and gyprocking. Leaning towards the gyprock at present as I have a brother-inlaw who is a carpenter, he can knock it together pretty quickly. If I had a go at it myself I don't think it would ever get finished, just not that handy unfortunately.....

Anyway just looking at comparing the two to determine if there is any significant cost savings either way.

Cheers

Shane

Depends on how work you want to do.

I get off cuts for free from a neighbor who builds transportable huts, 7' x 3' or I can buy full sheets for about $115+ gst.

Also keep an eye auctions in your state as companies are downsizing or going bust.

Instead of gyprock, have a look at fiber cement panels as they will handle the moisture better and need less coats of oil based paint.

Darren

Nowadays, you can also get high density foam which is used to clad the exterior of houses, they render over it, making it extremely strong and apparently has a really good R rating. I used some of the 60mm sheets to line the inside of my colourbond shed, after cutting to size they fitted neatly between the frame and sheeting, and sat in the c-channel. I have painted mine, using 2 coats of water based low sheen interior paint and it looks and works a treat. It comes in sheets 2500 x 1200 and is apparently treated against pests and fire.

Cheers, Doug

What's an "R" rating?

Insulation is measured on an R-rating scale: that is, how resistant to temperature change it is. The higher the R value, the higher the level of insulation. For example, an R-rating of 2.5 can reduce your home energy bills by up to 50 percent.

polystyrene is sold in class ratings. these are L, SL, S, M, H & VH, (in highest to lowest heat transfer). if you decide to go with coolroom panels check the pricing on polyurethane panels. they have a more efficient 'u' factor meaning they allow less watts per metre of thermal transfer. you will expect to pay more for these however so you will have to weigh that up.

HTH Patrick

Thanks for all the great feedback. I was thinking of the fibrous cement panels on the inside of the room and gyprock on the outside.

Building materials auctions - a good thought. Laws Auctions have one every Monday at Wetherall Park. It might be worth a look.

Also looks like my research is expanding into polystyrene insulation in lieu of batts. That's a pleasant thought as I can remember putting the fibreglass batts into the roof of my parents place and we scratched for a week even with all the protective gear on.

Please keep the ideas coming as there is some great ones hear that I hadn't thought of.

What's an "R" rating?

Sorry for the hi-jack Shane, just a term I am not familiar with.

Brett

I seem to remember a R rating of 3 is the equivalent of having a 3 foot thick concrete wall. Someone correct me if I am wrong??

I seem to remember a R rating of 3 is the equivalent of having a 3 foot thick concrete wall. Someone correct me if I am wrong??

I'd have thought that at this time of year in Tumut an R rating of 3 would be roughly equivalent to an igloo with an ice wall about 2 inches thick :-) :p

I'd have thought that at this time of year in Tumut an R rating of 3 would be roughly equivalent to an igloo with an ice wall about 2 inches thick :-) :p

Lol, you are right. R6 is definitely the go here!!

Thanks for all the great feedback. I was thinking of the fibrous cement panels on the inside of the room and gyprock on the outside.

I think you have this buM around, the Gyprock is for internal use only......

There is a coolroom for sale here on the Central Coast at the moment, it is 2.4metres x 2.4 metres and they want $2500 ono. This doesn't sound cheap when you can build it yourself to spec for less.

Cheers

Ross

Hi Ross,

My bad for not explaining where the room is to be built. It is going inside my existing garage, which is why I mentioned gyprock outside and fibrous cement on the inside of the room. Two walls to close off one corner of the garage. The internal walls of the garage are already gyprock. As a consequence aesthetics also need to be taken into account with the materials I end up using.

Sloany, if its inside a garage, cool room panels could be overkill and expensive. They aren't that easy to come by either. I'd recommend using roof flashing to line all walls. I did it and have run my garage like that for 3 years very successfully. Here is a link to another members effort, very good work and should answer all your questions.

http://www.aceforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=42968

Cheers Couchy :raisehand:

Thanks Couchy,

I have been watching Mikes progress with interest. It's going to be a great room when finally finished.

I thought cool room panels were going to be the simple option. But the more I look into it, tracking them down, etc. is more trouble than what it's worth. Also the walls need to fit in with the rest of the room anyway. I'll look into the roof flashing too.

Once I get started I better get the camera out. So everyone can see how it ends up.

Thanks again.

I have bred well in my garage for a while and i have only insulated the front wall where the roller door is. I built a stud wall with a door and insulated it from the inside. The 2 interior walls aren't insulated at all and the third wall is brick. If i'd insulated the other 3 walls like 'Mikes', temp's would have been more stable.

I am trying to source cool room panels right now for a fish room i'm building out the back and having trouble finding them. I actually manage a cold storage wraehouse and still can't get the panels? If I do get them I will also document the build in a post like Mikes.

Cheers. :thumbup:

Bondor and Poly Panel up here in brissy make a insulated panel in different sizes. I got 90mm thick panels on my patio roof last year but they do come in other sizes. If the room is indoors you wont get a huge temp variation so the panels don't have to be too thick. You may be able to get seconds from them or from a local patio installer in your area. Thats if they have any left over from making eskies for all their mates. :)

Try contacting a sea container company like ARC or royal Wolf they sell old sea containers 20foot by 8foot (or similar) that where once converted into cool storage. Ask for one without the refrigerant and motor and it shouldnt cost u more than 3.5k delivered painter and ready to go.

Try contacting a sea container company like ARC or royal Wolf they sell old sea containers 20foot by 8foot (or similar) that where once converted into cool storage. Ask for one without the refrigerant and motor and it shouldnt cost u more than 3.5k delivered painter and ready to go.

this is great thread... some excellent ideas for down the track when i can build a decent fish room

cheers

matt

Thanks for everyones input. It all provided food for thought. :clap:thumb

Bit the bullet today and decided to go with the gyprock and fibrous cement walls. Got the brother in law over to put up the walls as he's a carpenter.

So will start a new thread shortly to show it all coming together. ;)

If you haven't already got the gyp rock just use fiber cement, believe me you can`t imagine the condensation that will be there especially with open top aquariums.

Glad I put 3 coats of oil based paint and rubber floor paint

Archived