Aquarium Heater question/problem

cprize

Hi all, im in the middle of setting up some 2ft tanks.

I have 2 x heaters, they are 25W & 50W.

In one of the 2fters with 25W heater, the water is only 5cm or so deep, the heater is suctioned to the floor of the tank. I have set the heater to 26deg, it hasnt budged past 22deg for the past week.

In the other 2fter with the 50W, the water is half full and the water stays at 23deg.

The heaters arent brand name heaters, they are the ones from BIG W for $15.

Is there too much water? Should i have gotten 50W brand name heaters?Or?

Thanks.

Hi mate,

For 2 foot tanks 50W should be okay depending on the room temperatures. I would be using 100W just to be sure. The other issue would be the accuracy or lack thereof of the heater thermostats. I find many heaters are very inaccurate, and you need to take that into account. I have one Jager heater that is 2 or 3C lower. To achieve 26C on it I need to turn it up to 28-29C. The most accurate heater I have is a Fluval Tronic.

Ah ok, given the amount of water in the first 2fter, what would be a good wattage heater to use?

I just put a 100W heater into the second 2fter with half water, and i put it to 26deg, im going to see if it goes up and stays like that.

As for the first 2fter with the very small amount of water, i might need to put a 50W in there to get temps higher.

Also, im using one tank for frogs and heating the water, thats why in one of the tanks the water is very low lol.

If the tank will only ever have a small amount of water then the 25W should work fine. I would think it is more of a thermostat issue, so try turning it up 1C at a time to see if that fixes it.

Archived