albino longfins bred :)

gianniz

well i haven't paid too much attention to them as they were still fairly small (6-7cm) and the male has hardly any bristles on him.

i've noticed he was inside a cave for the last couple of days so today i got my torch out and to my suprise theres bunch of white wigglers inside :)

now problem is i've never been able to raise baby bristlenose so can someone give me some hints?

i don't know when to take them out. i'm thinking i will remove them to my shrimp tank in a week or so.

currently i those wigglers don't seem to have any egg sacks anymore and are wiggling at the end of the cave.

i'm not sure when the babies will come out, is there some sort of sign or behaviour that can be noticed before the babies come out?

anyway any advice will be greatly apprecitaed

congrats!!!!

they will feed after their egg sacks are gone. algae wafers i find are good and easy to remove daily. less messy or fry food thats veg based.

i dont know if its a good idea to move them into another water condition at that size.. unless its common water between tanks.

i find some of my bristlenose before werent that tough when small. but then other pairs that had fry the babies were tough as nails.

can you put them into a good size fry saver? or leave them in the tank with the parents?

Depends what is in the tank with them? If there on there own i pretend there not there and feed normally. Take them out after the male is sitting on another clutch.

hth

congrats on the spawn. They grow alot slower them short finns

i've done it again. i got impatient and taken them out to a fry saver. the babies still have very small yolks :( i should have left it for another day or two.... i have moved them to another tank with similar water condition so hope they survive.

• 4 weeks later...

hey I have breeding commons, albinos, and common longfin. I always just leave babies in the tank till they are sold or there are just way too many. Ive had 300 in a 4ft tank before. The babies need to stay with paretns as i think from memory th get a beneficial bacteria from the parents waste maybe? something along those lines im sure someone can elaborate for me. anyway i always wait till about 2-3cm minimum before i move them to seperate tanks.

Cheers

yes the parents need to stay with the babies..we leave the male in with them so they can eat the good bacteria etc,as said in the previous post..as the male still looks after them until the sack goes..but the young still need a adult in with them..thats how we do it,and learnt the hard way the first few times..but now we have heaps..

thanks for the replys,

i have moved them to my sisters 2 footer tank in a smaller plastic fry saver with an airstone.

so far i have only lost few (seems they just die - possibly crappy water quality).

rest are doing well with my black occy frys :)

i have moved 4 of them to my shrimp tank yesterday and they seem to be eating well.

Archived