New 6 foot tank help needed

Priscacara

G'day, I'm planning on getting a 6 foot tank and not too sure on the best fish to stock it with. It will be in a high traffic area, as in myself going past a lot and some kids running about now and then. My current cichlid community (African) has all coral/limestone rock and a different look for the 6 would be nice. I've had a few plans for it but cant decide what would be the best as all the fish I've had in mind would be great to look at for a display.

Plan1 Frontosa, great looking fish but unsure if they would be suitable for the placement. Some large river rock for decorations but a lot of free swimming space. Also not sure on the cost of 10cm size fish. Sailfin plecs are another addition that I was thinking could fit in well.

Plan 2 Central or South American non planted tank with river pebbles, wood and river sand base.

Plan 3 Pretty much a no go but was thinking fully planted tank with angels, cories etc. I wouldnt like to mess around with co2 system and plant costs pretty much rule this one out at this stage.

Water out of the tap here is ph 8.5 and gh of about 60ppm so I have to add chemicals to both my cichlids and my non cichlid tanks.

Any thoughts and opinions more than welcome.

That pH value just screams Africans, so maybe go for a nice display tank of Malawians. Whether it be a couple of colonies, or an all male set up it will look sweet. If you go for some big haps like Red Empress or any of the Nimbochromis species the tank will suit them nicely. I've always found my Malawians to be very busy, always breeding, digging and fighting, and they don't seem to care about high traffic, if anything it just promotes more begging! That said, Tangs will work well in a tank that size too, although front's aren't really my thing, cyprichromis look great in a big school in a big tank, as do things like calvus and leleupi when they get a bit of size on em. Good luck deciding!

My 6x2x2 is stocked with F. Rostratus (nothing more beautiful than dominant male IMO), C. Moorii, N. Livingstonii and S. Multipunctatus. Love the large haps!

There are a lot of nice South American earth eaters out there too - if only I had another 6 footer.... :dntknw:

Thanks Wrangers, working my way through researching the fish that have been mentioned.

Inhabitants of the 4 foot tank (215L) I have are :-

2 x P. saulosi female largest around 5.5cm, smallest 4.5

1 x P. saulosi male 7cm

1 x L. hongi male 7cm

4 x L. hongi female 6cm

1 x C. cobwe male 7cm

3 x C. cobwe female 4cm

2 x Monkey Bay peacock males

2 x marble peacock males

1 x lionhead

1 x red zebra

1 x Plecostomus (sailfin) approx 12cm

Something a bit different for the 6 footer would be good.

Ordered my tank and should have it by next week so getting things ready to start work on it.

Tank is a 6 x 2 x2, filter is Eheim professional II, 200w eheim/jagere and a 300w Aquaone heater, 4 foot twin flouro Aquaone lighting.

As per advice read in forums I will be using aquarium safe silica on the base to spread out the weight of the rocks I will be adding. The silicon will be allowed to cure for 7 days before anything else is done to the tank. The rocks will be about 70kg of rounded river rocks........still a bit worried about the larger ones as they weigh in at about 10kg so may have to break them up. I envisage them in the two back corners forming a mound sloping into the tank. Substrate I was thinking of crushed coral, about 3mm.

Stocking, well the more I read the more I would like Frontosa but the more I read the less I believe they would be good for the area the tank is going as there will be a lot of traffic at times. Red empress are starting to take my fancy but I'll have to see the breeder at the lfs to see what he thinks and has available.

Any suggestions or comments are always welcome.

Ordered my tank and should have it by next week so getting things ready to start work on it.

Tank is a 6 x 2 x2, filter is Eheim professional II, 200w eheim/jagere and a 300w Aquaone heater, 4 foot twin flouro Aquaone lighting.

As per advice read in forums I will be using aquarium safe silica on the base to spread out the weight of the rocks I will be adding. The silicon will be allowed to cure for 7 days before anything else is done to the tank. The rocks will be about 70kg of rounded river rocks........still a bit worried about the larger ones as they weigh in at about 10kg so may have to break them up. I envisage them in the two back corners forming a mound sloping into the tank. Substrate I was thinking of crushed coral, about 3mm.

Stocking, well the more I read the more I would like Frontosa but the more I read the less I believe they would be good for the area the tank is going as there will be a lot of traffic at times. Red empress are starting to take my fancy but I'll have to see the breeder at the lfs to see what he thinks and has available.

Any suggestions or comments are always welcome.

what about having a some red empress, electric blues and maingos in there, there pretty lively fish

Tx for the suggestions for tankmates , I've seen them in the lfs a few times when I was there and they all look good. Definately didnt seem timid at the shop so potential for the 6 footer is good.

Archived