Africans in "American" Communal Tank?

Barracuda

Recently saw some Electric Yellows I would love to put into my community tank - only problem is that my tank is mainly "American" - ie housing angels, gouramis, tetras, rasboras...but with kribs (african but has a lower ph). Currently, the ph is around 6.5, but can increase it to neutral quite easily (Sydney tap water? + neutral regulator).

I know electric yellows can have a ph of 7.5 - being only 0.5 above my projected ph - would they survive? Is it possible to have them in my tank? My understanding is that it should survive (as i was told by the breeder) - but are what are the other "hidden problems" that may arise - if any? I hear they are quite peaceful and dont grow too big - being ideal for my tank.

Has anyone ever attempted this before? Was it succesful/not? I havent really heard of it been done before, being the reason as to why i ask.

Thanks in advance

Even if E.yellows could survive in that tank, i personally would not put them in there. Surviving and thriving are two totally different things.

Totally wrong water parameters and not to mention potential disharmony and aggression between the yellows and everything else in that tank. They also need swimming space as they do chase each other around.

It is true that E.yellows are fairly placid, but that is when compared to other African Mbuna species, not when compared to general freshwater community fish.

All i can say is if you want yellows, get another tank for them and give them their correct parameters and you'll be able to enjoy both properly and safely......this is why most people end with two or more fish tanks!! hehe.

Good luck.

I agree with Kimo. If you're just looking to get some yellow colour into that tank you could try a small school of gold barbs. I added a few to my american cichlid/community tank and they have worked well. Very colourful as they mature.

It can be done quite easily.

Your Kribensis, I assume Pelvicachromis pulcher are west african and the e yellosws will dominate them once mature.

They will probably also eat your tetras, depending on what type.

As for the water keeping it at neutral will allow you to keep both and I actually do this now with some large Americans and large Africans and all fish are happy and healthy.

In your case its more about species selection thatn water parameters.

dont do it, your yellows will kill pretty much all the smaller fish as soon as they settle in. As it was said they are placid when compared to other mbuna. if you want your other fish to survive and want your angels fins to stay nice and long then dont risk it.

just my 2 cents worth

have seen americans n africans in a tank before yes the africans survive at the ph of americans

but the life span is halved they deff dont breed and they never show there true colours.

best bet choose one and stick to it

With respect to what the previous writers have contributed if you have limited experience its best to stay safe.

But, you don't have to have Africans at the ph of Americans.

You meet halfway at about 7.5 - 7.8.

I have bred africans in the same tank as Americans and vice versa.

I understand what people are saying and its good to have your water conditions specific but it is not an exact science.

As I said in my previous post it can be done. But with the correct fish.

I have C.moori and cookoo cats with Plecos, eupterus, gibbis, clown loaches, gold sevs, texas, tinfoils, silver dollars, silver shark, Nicaraguese parrots, red scat, and lots more.

All fish are bright and beautifull.

My Sevs lay eggs at least every other month.

My C.moori have mouthfulls here and there.

It's all about a balance of ph being set in the middle of the 2 groups requirements.

I actually have about 4 groups and still easily maintain all groups being healthy.

The real trick is picking species that can co-exist.

The rules are only a guideline.

Common sense and experience will allow minor bending of the rules.

For instance, Discus bred in Asia will thrive in nuetral water where Discus bred in the Amazon require acidic water.

South American cichlids get flushed south in heavy rain as do the fish from the Amazon basin and the conditions and temps can change overnight. These changes often make the fish spawn.

African in the lakes in drought live in quite salty water but when the wet season approaches and fresh water floods in there are temporary ph spikes and drops as well as temperature changes.

Nature changes the rules and so can we as long as we are carefull.

I have seen lots of members tanks from this site that have fish from separate continents living together and even breeding in the same tank.

But like I said before if you have limited experience its best to stay safe.

Hi citypainter,

i don't want to hijack this thread so feel free to pm a response if you prefer, but i would love to know how long you've had your red scat and how its temperament is towards your other fish. Also i thought they were only really happy in brackish water? I would love to have one if it will mix ok with my americans. Cheers,

oakes.

Hi citypainter,

i don't want to hijack this thread so feel free to pm a response if you prefer, but i would love to know how long you've had your red scat and how its temperament is towards your other fish. Also i thought they were only really happy in brackish water? I would love to have one if it will mix ok with my americans. Cheers,

oakes.

Gday Oakes.

I have had the red Scat for about 1 year now.

They are bullies to be truthful.

But typical of bullies they know their limits.

It does not pick on any of the Americans.

It sometimes nudges the C.moori.

But it chases the silver dollars.

Red scat are fine in fresh water all their lives.

Silver scat will require salt and plenty of it as they get older so I don't try to keep them.

Regards

Archived