Industrial grade oxygen to bag fish for transport.

Damon

Hi All,

I am moving home in a few weeks and will need to bag my fish for the 600km trip. I expect they will be bagged for around 24hrs or so. I have used medical grade oxygen in the past but can't get my hands on any at the moment, I do have industrial oxygen for oxy welding etc.. Will this work or is there to many impurities?

Thanks in advance for any help..

Damon :confused:

Hi Damon,

I have been using industrial grade oxygen for quite a few years now as you cannot get fish grade in the smaller "D" size cylinder I prefer due to its portability. The difference was explained to me some time ago as being a difference in the handling procedures for the cylinders rather than any difference in the oxygen itself. In other words, they take a bit more care when handling/refilling fish grade cylinders to reduce the risk of contamination. I get my cylinder refilled every 6 months or so and have never experienced any problems at all with the industrial grade oxygen. I have always reasoned that if I did end up with a contaminated cylinder, I would find out very quickly the first time I used it.

Cheers, Doug

Hi Damon,

I have been using industrial grade oxygen for quite a few years now as you cannot get fish grade in the smaller "D" size cylinder I prefer due to its portability. The difference was explained to me some time ago as being a difference in the handling procedures for the cylinders rather than any difference in the oxygen itself. In other words, they take a bit more care when handling/refilling fish grade cylinders to reduce the risk of contamination. I get my cylinder refilled every 6 months or so and have never experienced any problems at all with the industrial grade oxygen. I have always reasoned that if I did end up with a contaminated cylinder, I would find out very quickly the first time I used it.

Cheers, Doug

Where do you get these and what is the approx cost

a) for purchase

b) for refilling

You can't buy the cylinder, you rent it from BOC, I think my little "D" size cylinder costs me around $12.00 per month to rent. When it is empty, you exchange it for a full one at BOC, from memory my last refill cost me around $45.00. Look in the yellow pages for a BOC Gas & Gear retail shop located near you and go and see them.

Cheers, Doug

• 2 weeks later...

You can't buy the cylinder, you rent it from BOC, I think my little "D" size cylinder costs me around $12.00 per month to rent. When it is empty, you exchange it for a full one at BOC, from memory my last refill cost me around $45.00. Look in the yellow pages for a BOC Gas & Gear retail shop located near you and go and see them.

Cheers, Doug

That info is spot on Doug!!

Archived