Auratus

tropifish

Just bought 2 (possibly females) auratus cichlid on the weekend - where i should have done a bit of research before getting them. Got them cuz their colour caught my attention. Just wondering any of you have ...bad experiences with these before? All of the feedbacks i've been reading are pretty bad if not scary, that they are very aggressive type of cichlid, it's a killing machine...etc...

it's been a couple of days now and seems like they are getting along quite well with other tank mates, i have a mix of frontosa, venustus, e.yellow, maingano, kingsizei...not sure what happens when the light goes out at night though...

Should i keep them? or return them back to the shop? as I don't want to regret waking up one morning and have to collect death fishes.

i dont know anything about the frontosa but the rest are fine post sizes of fish plus amout size of tank plus if there are hiding places for the fish. try find out about the frontosa for the rest of the fish are fine

If you are talking Limnochromis Auritus there is not much on the net.

Females are larger and fatter than the male which tend to be slender.

Opionions are that they are peacefull but I found that they are peacefull with the right fish. Your selection is fine. I have had issued of harashment towards gobies but once moved with the right fish all seem fine. They take care of themselves pretty well and I have mine now with featherfins. They are biparental mouthbrooders so you would need them to pair up.

Vent sexing them is very hard but when larger the body shape should be a tell.

They are an extremely beautiful fish under dim lights and have a great personality.

Have fun keeping them

Michiel

Archived