Sand vs Gravel...which is better?

Barracuda

I had sand in my last tank & now have gone back to gravel.

The sand was always going through the filter although as I was running a sump it wasnt a massive problem as I could just scoop it out.

Now I am running cannisters I didnt want sand getting in them.

What are the pros and cons of each type of substrate?

Which do you prefer? Why?

Well I've tried both and it really depends on what suits both you and your fish. I say this because if you intend on breeding certain species of cichlid than sand may be required for them to build (dig) their territories to lure females into. Sand can be problematic in quite a few ways including being sucked up by the filter as mentioned, and also when water changes are carried out (where you siphon wastes from the sand). When siphoning you will lose some sand in the process. If you want a tank where your fish are able to dig and aquascape your tank for you than sand is the way to go.

As for gravel, this stuff is easy to clean, looks fairly good (but sand is better IMO) and can be somewhat cheaper to purchase then sand. Siphoning is alot easier than sand and it is unlikely if not impossible to be sucked up into the filter. However if you think its not prone to being digged up think again, if I can get you a good pic you'll see the extent of a hole that red rubin has dug (more like a mountain).

So in conclusion if your after low maintenance, cheap and less likely to be dug go for gravel. If your up for the extra work and good looks go for sand.

Sand is easier to clean as waste resides on top of the sand so a gravel clean can be performed quickly and with little water loss. It however has been known to form 'gas' bubbles where gas remains trapped under the sand where it can then raise through the sand releasing dangerous gases into the water. It is a much better choice if you plan on keeping earth eaters (Most geophagus sp) or african cichlids as they sift through the sand therefore removing the risk of gas bubbles. It is cheap to purchase plain sand from bunnings as it is only about $6/20kg. If using a filter where the inlet is located near the impeller you are at risk of the impellor breaking.

Gravel is harder to clean the larger grain sizes as it allows dirt and waste to become trapped. No risk of gas bubbles. Harbours much more waste then sand does. It is available in alot more colours and does make a better substrate if you plan on growing plants as they can anchor better. The risk of being drawn into a filter is minimal and it provides a better substrate when using large amounts of rock in the tank.

I personally opt for a smaller grain gravel as I then get the best of both worlds.

as people have said, gravel is generally a better option if your looking to have plants, sand to me is easier to keep clean and it looks better.

but hey its all personal preference in the end.

choose what you like there really is no "better".

thanks mark~

choose what you like there really is no "better".

I feel there may be a 'better' for particular applications as said above sand is 'better' or preferable for sandsifters/ eartheaters and gravel is 'better' or more appropriate for certain filters/aquascapes. Also someone correct me if im wrong as i plan on starting a planted tank soon (though thinking of going with eco complete substrate) i think i read/heard that plants wont survive with sand for some reason. Is this true and why?

I'd like to bust a few rumours about sand, being an Eartheater keeper and needing it. I've always kept sand, and I believe many of the problems people experience are myths or simply easily fixed/adjusted minor setup issues.

I currently keep display tanks (with and without plants) in the super fine Play Sand/Double Washed Sand from Bunnings, and have previously kept natural river sand from a local river, as well as pool filter sand.

- I have never had my filters suck any up. I have a few Eheim Classics with intakes quite close to the substrate of fine play sand and it does not suck up any sand at all. If you're having problems with this simply adjust your intakes accordingly. Pool filter sand is too heavy to get sucked up by any filtration I imagine. Sumps on overflows will never have sand in them.

If you're having this issue you must have huge turnovers, so I suggest a larger grain.

- Gas pockets/Airbubbles generally mean your substrate is too thick/high. Having about an inch depth of sand and giving it a quick run through with your hand or any object (I use the reverse end of an algae scrubber) only once a month (or every second water change/once a week for me) will completely eliminate this issue, which is only really prominent with the super fine sands, as the larger grain substrates generally won't form pockets.

- Plant growth. Play Sand isn't ideal for plants, but I have a few Amazon Swords, Chain Swords and Valisneria growing well in it at the moment (these are hardy plants). Larger grain sands are great for plants and planted tanks.

The only cons of sand in my opinion is that it can be slightly messy to set up initially (tank clouded for up to a few days even after vigorous washing for Play Sand, not so bad for the others), and that fish faeces is often visible as it rests on top (large turnovers will lift this off and eventually filter it though). The Pros far outweigh these - fantastic looks, very versatile with decor, very easy to keep clean, and more natural for many species of fish (If you keep Eartheaters/Tang Sandsifters on gravel you're doing it wrong :( - most Americans love sand too.).

I'll always have either sand, or barebottom.

Thanks for the info guys

I am wanting a substrate that is easy to maintain...gravel vaccing can prove to be a pain sometimes...

Do you ever need to "clean" the sand (like vaccuming it)? Or do you just suck up the waste on the surface?

I also would like plants, do certain plants grow better/worse in sand?

Regarding the dead spots, will a geophagus or similar species that "digs" the sand mean that you dont need to stir the sand around?

Never thought of the sand going into the filter...is this really a problem? What will happen if the sand does go into the filter intake?

Thanks

Archived