cuckoo catfish

Foti

First post need some advice :)

I have recently purchased a cuckoo catfish 7 day from today. It was the first time I had seen one, it grabbed my eye so I bought it. I’m very new with this. Did my research and found that they should be kept in a pack of minimum 3 could this be the cause of this fish not moving around I don’t think it has even eaten for I have not seen it eat or move! What should I do?

p.s IT 'S STILL ALIVE

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated

Thank you

Like a lot of catfish, synodontis multipunctatus (aka cuckoo catfish) is primarily nocturnal and does prefer to be part of a group. You will find your single one will hide during the day and come out at night to eat, you may wish to put in some sinking pellets for it when you turn the lights off at night. As it becomes more comfortable in the tank, it may start venturing out during the day. If will certainly be happier if you can find some more cuckoos to form a group, and you will find a group of cuckoos will venture out more during the day.

Cheers, Doug

Thank you for that info i will get some sinking pellets any that you might recomend ?

also how do you tell if one is a male or female ?

should i have them as 1 male 2 females ? or ??????

Thank you for that info i will get some sinking pellets any that you might recomend ?

also how do you tell if one is a male or female ?

should i have them as 1 male 2 females ? or ??????

Any sinking pellet is fine, just keep in mind that these guys eat the same food as your african cichlids, they are not algae eaters.

You haven't mentioned how big it is. From around 8cm they are easy to sex as the males develop a small backward facing appendage which is clearly visible just in front of the anal fin. At smaller size they are hard to sex, you can only go on body shape, with males being a bit smaller and slimmer than females.

Unless you are planning to breed them, sex ratio is not that important.

Cheers, Doug

my cuckoo were more out going after a couple of wks and calmer in groups.

they will eat your left over food from other fish in the tank, and the also swim together if you get a group

cheers

antz

Archived