Poly-chromatism in Cyprichromis

AzFish

Hello,

I have acquired some pavo's. I received both yellow and blue finned fish. From what I have read, pavo's are poly-chromatic, in that their young can be different color morphs to what their parents are. How different are we talking here?

Here are some pics of what my 2 different males look like, both have the speckling in the body, both have blue dorsal fins and tails, the only difference is in the anal fin and pelvic fins on the yellows; and the totally blue fin fish also seems to be getting these long fins on its tail, like a paracyp.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thanks!

Az

I thought that dichromatism or polychromatism is exhibitated in pavo and microlepidotus adults as your pics clearly show. I believe this varies between blue and yellow. A blue finned adult fish can produce yellow finned fry and vice versa. Am i understanding you right, as your question is not that clear to me? These are Nangu? Very nice fish and good pics, good luck with them, they are a challenging fish.

Grant

Your reply told me every thing I needed to know. I was worried they were different locations.

I guess i was under the impression dichromatism or polychromatism produced an opposite coloration, IE; if the dorsal is blue on one male it should be yellow on another and vice versa, not both have blue dorsals and different colored ventral and anal fins, if that makes any sense?

Yep, they are nangu. They are pretty mellow compared my kekese, which is a bonus :)

Thanks Grant.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived