Mixing Local Guppy's With Imported Guppy's

the cichlid kid

I used to work at an aquarium years ago and one thing we always found is that when we mixed the imported stock that we got from the wholesaler with the local guppy's we got from a customer, the local stock slowly but surely died off.

They'd lose colour from the tail back towards the head and sometimes have white patchy wounds/growths. Symptoms came on quite quickly, and they would float when dead.

Yet if we kept the local stock separated from the imported they would thrive.

Has anyone else experienced this?

And can anyone shed a light on why this occurs?

Cheers

Beau.

Local and imported guppy's have always been that way for as long as i can remember.

Maybe due to the differering enviorments they have been subject too, may possibly lead to them having different imune systems.

I have seen it work both ways were the local ones survive and the imported ones dont etc

This only my thoughts on the matter others may have differet views ;)

I presume it simply means that the imported stock are carrying an assortment of pathogens that they're immune/tolerant to but the local stock are not (and vice versa).

the same thing happened to the aboriginals here in Oz (and similarly in many other places).. the "imported" colonist brought along pathogens like the common cold that they were esssentially immune to but wreaked havoc on the local stock.

We all need to be aware of this when quarantining new fish: I've known a few people (including it appears AQIS) who consider quarantine to be something like:

1. isolate the new fish for a period

2. watch to see if they get sick or die

3. if they look ok at the end of the quarantine period they must be ok so they can move in with the other fish

Unfortunately if they're carrying pathogens that don't show obvious symptoms (perhaps because they've built up an immunity to or tolerance of it) then this is a lovely way to introduce those pathogens to the local stock who may not be so tolerant.

• 2 weeks later...

I presume it simply means that the imported stock are carrying an assortment of pathogens that they're immune/tolerant to but the local stock are not (and vice versa).

the same thing happened to the aboriginals here in Oz (and similarly in many other places).. the "imported" colonist brought along pathogens like the common cold that they were esssentially immune to but wreaked havoc on the local stock.

We all need to be aware of this when quarantining new fish: I've known a few people (including it appears AQIS) who consider quarantine to be something like:

1. isolate the new fish for a period

2. watch to see if they get sick or die

3. if they look ok at the end of the quarantine period they must be ok so they can move in with the other fish

Unfortunately if they're carrying pathogens that don't show obvious symptoms (perhaps because they've built up an immunity to or tolerance of it) then this is a lovely way to introduce those pathogens to the local stock who may not be so tolerant.

I have to agree with the above. When I was raising Discus, quarantine was the above but before adding the new fish to the general population I would put a Discus in with the quarantined stock to make sure they could survive with any foriegn pathogens. It was better to lose one discus than a whole tank full of discus. Even though I have a community tank now I still quarantine this way.

Cheers

Archived