Lepidolamprologus elongatus

chrisandelana

Hi All,

Long time listener, first time caller.

I have a display tank with a few Cyphotilapia frontosas and a common pleco. My interest is to add 2-3 Lepidolamprologus to contrast with the other fish (shape and colour), however want similar diets and water.

What are the risks to either speices when it comes to predation ? From what I have been able to read on the net both the C. frontosas and L. elongatus will eat any other fish that will fit in it mouth.

The C. frontosas are from 5 -10cm.

Any advise or comments are welcomed. biggrin.gif

Thanks,

Chris.

Hi Chris, While I dont know how Frontys and Lepidolamprologus sp will go together I can say that the diet is the same for the two and both fish will eat anything that fits in its mouth. My bet would be on the Lepidolamprologus getting most of the live food as they are damn fast. They will also grow a fair bit faster than a fronty too. So while you buy fish that are the same size now the Lepidolamprologus will grow faster though of coarse the fronty will catch up over time. Water for the two is the same also. One thing to watch for IMO is when these guys decide to breed. I had some kendalli in with my calvus for a little while until the dominent boy started to get territorial. He left me no option but to remove them from my tanks. Hopefully someone else can more reliably inform you on these guys as I didn't really give them a good opportunity.

Charlie

Gday Chris, I used to breed Elongatus a while back and they can be very nasty. If the tank they are in is large enough they will probably co- exist with the frontys ok. But once they pair up they will smash anything in with them (mine used to attack my face through the glass when they had babies. Dont let this put you off as they are an awesome fish when big. hth cheers Kevin

Archived