dovii Cichlid

Michael

It is hard to say. All dovii vary from individual to individual. Its all trial and error, your best bet is to put her in maybe redecorate the tank then add her or do it at night. have a spare tank or divider ready.

just make sure you have a log or cave area where the smaller female can hide in if the male gets too aggressive for her. With big cichlids like yours i have seen an incomplete divider made out of a milk crate sitting upsidedown on the gravel with a hole large enough for the female to enter. If you dont mind the asthetics of it its cheap as and works. You will need a pretty big female and I wouldn't risk taking the chance that if he snaps you will be around to quickly put the divider in-it wont take him long to do lethal damage.

I had the problem with my jags that the male was too aggressive for the female and she would end up swimming in the top corner of the tank wishing she was anywhere else. I divided the tank and let them stew for a week. they spent the whole time courting through the divider. I took the divider out, placed a pot in the tank and an hour later had eggs and the female was standing her ground. Its all about foreplay :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I think dovii are over-rated when it comes to aggression at breeding time, towards each other that is.

I have had 3 breeding pairs. I recently sold one. But now have a new one which are siblings so i will be selling the male and keeping the female.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived