L's in tanganikan condition?

gianniz

well i guess it's possible but what I wanted to know is how adaptable are these L's (etc l46, l104, l168, l333 -particularly this one as i like this the most)

has anyone kept these in a malawi or tanganikan condition? whats their response?

i know all the bristlenose kind adapt pretty well and even breed without too much fuss, but i wanted to know if the L's are as adaptable or its bristlenose that evolved (through aquarium breeding).

I don't think anyone who have kept L46 would put them in that kind of parameters as they are not cheap to come by.

I have kept L002 with Tropheus for awhile with no ill effect so I would say L104 would be fine but don't expect them to breed. Anything is possible but will they be happy in that sort of environment.

IMO, You will probably shorten their life span as it is not optimal condition with them to thieve or grow properly.

Cheers

i was thinking shouldn't we kinda play god with these fish to help them evolve quicker?

like for example, zebra plecos habitats are slowly disappearing due to humans, so for us to preserve this fish is to selectively breed them or gradually change the water condition etc for few generations of fish?

isn't bristlenose reallly hardy because of this? i know i didn't do this when i had zebs (1k each no chance of experiments) but maybe the l104 l168 and l333 they are starting to become cheaper and cheaper and i was hoping to try to grow them and breed them in tanganikan condition...

but i won't be naive i am open for more information from hobbiest about their results etc.

Most L's/catfish will be quite happy in harder water conditions, some will even breed in it, Peppermints, BN's, L168's & L201's have all been bred(and it maybe the secret to breeding L046?) in these waters.

Lets face it if it rains in the their home town the Ph and hardness of the water would change over night as minerals and vegetation are washed off the river banks. From dry season to the wet season they can adapt to change.

Its just some of the L's are so expensive that none us would like to take a chance on them not breeding, so we try to mimic their home water conditions as close as possible, no danger to the fish just the danger of us failing to breed them :cryblow:

trial and error for a $1000 fish isn't my kinda idea of having fun. I remember the first few days I would wake up in the middle of the night just to check in the dark if i can still count 4 zebs! no torch light as it would spooke the fish so I custom designed a lamp with a red cellophane covering the light so that it will create a red glow. It works really well (also worked on ghost knife fish).

I don't know whether the nocternal fish (such as ghostknife) can't see the red light or just more active when the red light is on as it probably thinks its dawn or dusk so naturally feeding time for most nocternals :)

It seems those L's that came into australia few years ago are starting to spawn. I have seen L66, L168, L104 being spawn and lets not forget about L333 that canberra guys are having fun with :)

Most L's/catfish will be quite happy in harder water conditions, some will even breed in it, Peppermints, BN's, L168's & L201's have all been bred(and it maybe the secret to breeding L046?) in these waters.

Lets face it if it rains in the their home town the Ph and hardness of the water would change over night as minerals and vegetation are washed off the river banks. From dry season to the wet season they can adapt to change.

Its just some of the L's are so expensive that none us would like to take a chance on them not breeding, so we try to mimic their home water conditions as close as possible, no danger to the fish just the danger of us failing to breed them :cryblow:

Archived