New Tank ... New Fishes

sean

Hi Everyone ,

i am currently in the process of getting a 6x2x2 tank made (CHEERS ADRIAN ) and im thinking of goin with a "american cichlid" display tank , but im not to sure which of these big beasts will mix well , i was told the more the better for spreading the agression . i was told that 8-10 would be perfect "i am purchasing these fish from fry and letting them grow up together !!!!!! as to help them get used to eachother , and im gonna stock them all in around the same time (give a day or two for 2 fish introduction rule ) , so here is my wishlist

1 x Herichthys cyanoguttatus (TEXAS)

1 x Cichlasoma festae (RED TERROR)

1 X Aequidens rivulatus (GREEN TERROR)

1 X Amphilophus labiatus (RED DEVIL)

1 X Astronotus ocellatus (OSCAR)

1 X Cichasoma octofasciatum (JACK DEMPSEY)

1 X Parachromis managuensis (JAGUAR)

5 X silver dollars (dithers)

1 x gold spot pleco

OK ... theres my list , im ok with criticism and advice and hope to get some

any other fish suggestions will be appreciated !!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR TIME AND HELP :thumbup::thumbup:

g'day mate, just some thoughts:

The overstocking to spread aggression idea may work with mbuna but i don't think is ideal with Americans, will just overload your tank with a huge amount of waste. Still those numbers may not be too excessive except i would leave out the silver dollars, unpaired fish will basically just ignore them. I have only used dithers for Americans to reinforce pair bonds. Personally i'm not keen on devils or oscars and would substitute a synspilum and black belt for them but that's just me! I also like the parrot cichlid (Hypsophrys nicaraguensis). Have fun!

its just that i noticed in my LFS that in the american tank it is alot more peaceful if there is a heap of them , and when the numbers dwindle down they start to get a bit more agressive ..... thanks for the heads-up on the silver dollars ( note to self ) as for the devil oscar thing , well im not to keen on droppin the devil from the list , but the oscar i can do without .......

i googled up the parrot cichlid , what a sexy looking fish , im definatly gonna replace the oscar with one of them :)

thanks alot for your input oakes , it was very informative :)

I HAVE RECENTLY STARTED TO STOCK A 6X2X2 WITH THE SAME WISHLIST AS YOU HAVE BUT WAS WARNED ON SEVERAL ISSUES ON SVERAL FORUMS.

Red Terror females are a lot smaller and not as aggressive as the males and also have much better colouring.

Jaguar may be the fish to watch as they get bigger.

Remember all these fish get some serious size about them and it only takes one bad mood to wipe out half of your stock overnight.

For the record i jave stocked with 1 x Jack Dempsey 1 x Female Red Terror 1 x Green Terror 1 x Salvini 4 x Mystus Vittatus Catfish and 2 x Silver Dollars and am looking for a parrot or a Sajica to complete my stock.

If anyone has experience with a Jaguar in this size tank with similar stock i would love to hear more.

Cheers Dave :)

GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE ;) .....

thanks for your replie mate , yeah i already was thinking female red terror from the start i already have a nice little 9-12cm female (compliments of fishouse taree) Adrian is even kind enough to put her in a tank till im ready . and i also definatly am getting a green terror (love the buggers to death) :) . i have scraped the oscar and red devil idea thanks to some good advice , but im chasing a nice male texas & jack dempsey (ELECTRIC BLUE IF POSSIBLE) .... and yeah im half n half on whether to get a nice big male jag , there is a nice one in at the fishouse at the moment his my old fish 25cm + , which i had to give up because i only was just getting cichlids and he outgrew my little 3ft pretty damm quick . but yeah if ur chasing a jag his there at the moment in a tank with a heap of other big americans , and as long as he gets to chill in his little section hes pretty mellow , i only had him in a tank by himself so we where a little worried how he will go ( BUT ALL IS GOOD ) hes been there for like a month. thats my only experience with jas n other big americans

cheers :)

sean ( pronounced SEEN ) lol

i had a 5 x 2 x 2 with all the fish above and a few more and it worked pretty good, but remeber that the fish you have are pretty unpredicatable and there is a good chance of aggro in your tank, all my fish where also adult fish when placed in the tank and i did have a few dramas, but biuggest drama was keeping it clean. the jag i had was a big male and he was the biggest girl in the tank, however every fish is different

worse thing i had happen was my femal festae dropped eggs on a rock one day (no male in the tank) and she beat the crap out of a few fish in the tanks, but she atge them soon after and calmed down, i would not recommed placing a breeding pair of fish in the tank

hi petshopdude , and thanks for the reply

yeah im not gonna put any pairs in there i want everything to be male (EXCEPT THE FESTAE) i wanna try n get them all around the 10 cm mark and just put them in over a few day couple at a time and then maybe add a pleco and leave it , and i wont add anything else

im stoked cant wait :)

cheers :)

sean

Archived